Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Sun Oct 18, 2020, 09:15 AM

Possible Match - Time Frame Question

Deleted

Last edited by Nobody : Sat Jul 29, 2023 at 05:44 PM.
Old Sun Oct 18, 2020, 05:25 PM
Owner

First of all, if you are willing to donate stem cells or bone marrow to somebody undergoing a transplant, you are definitely a Somebody, not a Nobody! I admire you for your generosity toward a stranger in need. My wife is alive due to people like you.

There are likely to be four things going on:
  1. Testing if you are a confirmed match. That depends on your HLA (human leukocyte antigen) proteins, not on your blood type. You might be a non-match, a good match, a great match, or a perfect match.

2. Checking if you are healthy enough to make the donation, with interviews and a full medical history. Expect them to ask you more than once if you are sure that you are willing to donate.

3. Deciding if you are the best available donor, since there could be other potential matches.

4. Scheduling. They may have contacted you as a potential match even if the recipient isn't at the stage where a transplant is definite.
If you are confirmed as a match and healthy enough to go ahead, they may or may not ask you to make the donation soon or at a later time. Most of the decision-making is on the recipient's side, since it all depends on their treatment schedule, and if and when they can undergo a transplant. My wife's bone marrow donor was contacted by Be the Match and agreed to donate, but it was 2 years before the donation finally occurred.

I'd expect that you'll hear back soon about whether or not you are still a potential donor. But even if that's confirmed, you might not be called to make the actual donation for some time. It's fine to ask questions of the people who contacted you, although they'll reveal very little information about the recipient.

I wish you luck, and good luck to whoever patient is as well.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2020, 05:13 AM

Deleted

Old Thu Oct 22, 2020, 09:51 PM

My husband needed a transplant ASAP, and from diagnosis to BMT, it was only 2 months. He had a European donor, too, so we are fortunate things were able to move so quickly. Please keep us posted! It takes a special kind of person to even consider doing something so selfless for a complete stranger 💜
Old Tue Oct 27, 2020, 10:24 AM

As a potential donor, you are definitely not a Nobody. I was diagnosed w/ a rare disease in the Spring of 2011 and it was decided that I was a good candidate for a transplant. A perfectly matching donor was found for me within 4-5 mos, but the actual transplant was not performed until December of 2011. I was told that in some instances multiple potential donors may be found if it is determined that a back-up donor may be required. In respect to myself, the donor was such a good match that there was no reason to find a back-up donor. I have never met my donor, but I was able to thank another donor at the hospital/ clinic where I go who was donating for a stranger.

Mario
Old Wed Oct 28, 2020, 06:41 AM

Deleted

Old Sat Oct 31, 2020, 12:03 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
Btw, does anyone here know for which reasons the doctors might choose to go for a BMT over the more common PBSCT? They've already asked me multiple times if I was opposed to a BMT, but I forgot to ask the doctor that question. It's all the same to me and would mostly come down to whichever method gives the patient the best chance.
Either method can meet the transplant goal to give stem cells from the donor to the recipient. A PBSCT is more common, but there are two primary reasons that one type of transplant or the other might be performed:
  1. The donor's ability and willingness to undergo the procedure.

With a peripheral blood stem cell transplant, donors are given injections of filgrastim (best known by the brand name Neupogen) to release bone marrow stem cells into the circulating blood, where they can be taken out much like a platelet donation. Neupogen can cause temporary minor side effects like fever or nausea.

With a bone marrow transplant, donors undergo a surgical procedure under anesthesia. After-effects typically include hip soreness and aching for a few days.

2. The needs of the recipient, which may give an advantage to one method over the other.

For patients with AML (acute myeloid leukemia), for example, a PBSCT reduces the risk of graft failure, but a BMT reduces the risk of the disease called GVHD (graft versus host disease).

For that reason, depending on circumstances, the patient's medical team may request one method or the other.

Last edited by Neil Cuadra : Mon Nov 2, 2020 at 11:13 PM.
Old Sun Nov 1, 2020, 08:21 AM

Thank you

Also greatly appreciate your altruism to serve as a potential donor. We need more donors like you!
Old Mon Nov 2, 2020, 05:50 AM

Deleted

Old Tue Dec 1, 2020, 08:21 AM

Deleted

Last edited by Nobody : Sat Jul 29, 2023 at 05:43 PM.