Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Alternative Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alternative Treatments Complementary and alternative medicine; natural and holistic approaches

Old Sat Jun 4, 2011, 12:15 PM

Green Tea

Hi All!

I've seen a couple of comments on various threads about green tea and iron. What I have gathered is that green tea reduces absorption of iron in the gut, but doesn't actually remove iron that's already accumulated elsewhere in the body

Does anyone know whether it has a similar effect to reduce absorption of copper or zinc? Or is the absorption effect iron specific?

I drink 1.0-1.5 liters of green tea a day, and also take 900 mg of Bluebonnet's EGCG Standardized green tea leaf extract.

If all this is reducing my iron absorption, I'm not too worried, as my transfusions will likely take care of that issue. But it would be un-nice if it was also messing up my already deficit copper or messing about with my zinc.

Anyone have insights on this one?

Take Care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com
Old Sat Jun 4, 2011, 01:58 PM

Hmmm, Greg, that's an interesting question. Anecdotally, Bruce never drank green tea, so that's not a factor for him.

I don't really understand this article, but I found this in pubmed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9...pubmed/9455677
Catherine, wife of Bruce age 75; diagnosed 6/10/11 with macrocytic anemia, neutropenia and mild thrombocytopenia; BMB suggesting emerging MDS. Copper deficient. Currently receiving procrit and neuopogen injections weekly, B12 dermal cream and injections, Transfusions ~ 5 weeks.
Old Sat Jun 4, 2011, 10:08 PM

Hey Catherine!

Thanks for the link. I am going to have to look up every other word in that abstract to understand it, but it looks interesting.

I only started the green tea after diagnosis (and after I discovered low copper), so I know it wasn't the culprit in causing my deficiency, but I'd hate to be thwarting the copper supplementation I'm taking by inhibiting it's uptake with the green tea.

Happy weekend!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com
Old Tue Jun 7, 2011, 10:08 AM

Hi Greg,

Don't know about other nutrients and tea. Sounds like you're doing quite of bit though. Extremes of any nutrient or herb can cause imbalances so you may want to take a holiday from it from time to time. Don't know what that is with green tea though. There is fluoride in tea so too much of that would not be good. I think the age of the tea when picked determines the level of fluoride. I would expect the extract not to have it. Long time ago, there was an issue with "instant" green tea and high fluoride level causing problems. How did you decide the dosage.

I'm pasting a small article I just got from Life Extension on a new study published on autoimmune and green tea.

FROM LIFE EXTENSION ORGANIZATION:
In an article published online on May 20, 2011 in the journal Immunology Letters, researchers at Oregon State University's Linus Pauling Institute report a mechanism for green tea in suppressing autoimmune disease: an imbalance of the immune system which results in the body attacking itself. Autoimmune diseases range from childhood allergies to fatal diseases including amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). Although treatment with pharmaceutical agents can help regulate immune function in autoimmune disease, the drugs are frequently associated with toxicity.

Oregon State University Department of Nutrition and Exercise Sciences associate professor Emily Ho and her associates studied the effect of the green tea polyphenol known as epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) in cell cultures and in mice. They found that EGCG increased the amount of regulatory T cells (which help dampen the immune system), whose function is regulated by processes that involve transcription factors and DNA methylation.

“EGCG may have health benefits through an epigenetic mechanism, meaning we aren’t changing the underlying DNA codes, but just influencing what gets expressed, what cells get turned on,” Dr Ho elaborated. “And we may be able to do this with a simple, whole-food approach.”

“Epigenetic regulation can be potentially exploited in generating suppressive regulatory T cells for therapeutic purposes, and is of significant clinical importance for the suppression of autoimmune diseases,” the authors note.

Dr Ho concluded that EGCG "appears to be a natural, plant-derived compound that can affect the number of regulatory T cells, and in the process improve immune function. When fully understood, this could provide an easy and safe way to help control autoimmune problems
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Fri Jun 10, 2011, 10:05 PM

Green Tea and T-cells

Hey Marlene!

I was hoping you'd weigh in on this one, having observed that you are pretty well informed about all this supplement, vitamin, and diet stuff.

I went off and read up on these regulatory T-cells that EGCG (every time I type that I think of CGBG's, not that I've ever been there) increases.

Turns out they are special T-cells that turn off an immune reaction when it's gone on long enough to repeal the invading bacteria, fungus, or whatever. They are also thought to be the mechanism that keeps the disease-fighting T-cells from thinking the body is a disease and attacking it. In other words, they may be key to preventing autoimmune diseases -- like AA and some types of MDS.

I started on green tea just because Servan-Schreiber, the author of Anti-Cancer, recommends it as an important antioxidant and good for tumor-forming cancers. But this evidence that it promotes suppressor T-cells means it could be very good for some of us who have immune-related bone marrow diseases.

You are probably right that I need to be careful not to overdo it, however. I bought the capsules when the weather was cooler (and I drink hot tea) because I don't much care for the taste of hot green tea. But I like iced green tea, so now that the weather is warm, I may need to cut back on the pills so as not to over do it.

Thanks!

Greg
Old Sun Jun 12, 2011, 09:57 AM

Hi Greg, Anticancer also has the following guidance that I did not know until I read the book that you had suggested. I also read somewhere that drinking OJ with the green tea increases how it is absorbed in the body. I couldn't find the reference, I ain't got no time for that now.

From anticancer APPENDIX TO CHAPTER 8
Japanese green tea (sencha, gyokuro, matcha, etc.) is even richer in EGCG than common varieties of Chinese green tea.
Green tea must be steeped for at least five to eight minutes—ideally ten minutes—to release its catechins.
Recommendations for use: Steep 2 grams (0.07 ounce) of green tea for ten minutes in a teapot and drink within an hour. Drink two to three cups a day. Do not store green tea after steeping, as it loses its beneficial polyphenols after an hour or two.
Old Sun Jun 12, 2011, 08:36 PM

Hey Tom!

Thanks. I took that passage to heart when I first started drinking green tea and did some research. Turns out you can spend a LOT of cash on green tea, and you can buy some seriously bad cheap green tea.

I settle on this stuff. Evidently, they sell it at Costco, but I get it from Amazon. After reading the reviews, it appeared that folks who had actually spent time in Japan found this brand pretty much what folks there would drink every day. It's made by Ito En, which is a big beverage company and the largest green tea distributor in Japan.

I like this tea because the bags are in individual envelopes and those envelopes contain some of the primo powdered Matcha tea, in addition to the Sencha tea in the bag. So the tea is actually green in your cup and it has the recommended types in it.

When I make my green iced tea, I use two tea bags (and the powder) in a half-liter beer stein, filled about half way with nearly boiling water. After it steeps for ten minutes, I fill the stein up with ice, leaving the bags in to continue steeping.

I call it "swamp water," but I've actually grown accustomed to the taste. I'm not as found as the hot version.

Take care!

Greg
Old Sun Jun 12, 2011, 10:02 PM

Hi Greg, I actually use the same brand but am able to get it a costco ($10 for the box), I use almost same process as you but with a Keurig coffee maker so I temp is a bit lower than boiling. I do take out the bags then top off the glass with OJ. I was drinking a lot more but recently cut back to increase my own swamp water drink which is a broccoli spinach nightmare which makes the green tea tastes really good.

I appreciate your postings....
Old Sun Jun 12, 2011, 10:38 PM

Hey Tom!

Great minds think alike! And you're getting an even better price than I am!

Greg
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 01:17 PM

Spry gum

fyi, Spry gum has a green tea gum! It contains Xylitol (which www.livestrong.org says increases white blood cell count). I love it ) and it doesn't have aspartame (which is in every other single gum except Dentyne fire). I found it cheaper on amazon.com.
Linda, 47 yo, married, mother of a teen, moderate AA w/ TERC mutation (2007 NIH), Pulmonary Fibrosis 2010, was on Danazol study (Aug 2011-2013 & restarted 9/14/15), last transfusion May 2011. On Promacta now. Needing a double lung and stem cell transplant.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2011, 12:51 PM

green tea

Hello all,
To all you green tea afficianados, does anyone know how green tea affects people with low platelets?? Does it decrease clotting or platelet aggregation and is that an effect people with low platelets should be wary about??
Old Wed Jun 15, 2011, 11:00 PM

Hey Tytd!

Sure enough, there is good research out there to indicate that the catechin most often talked about in green tea -- EGCG -- interferes with platelet aggregation. Near as I can tell, the studies so far are all about stirring the EGCG into platelets in test tubes (as opposed to human-based studies), but there are plenty of studies out there with similar findings.

There are a few studies that suggest other catechins in green tea may have the opposite effect, but that's a newer line of research and the results don't seem to be as well established.

I found some anecdotal reports from folks who think green tea lowered their platelet counts, but couldn't find any science on that aspect. Instead the documented problem seems to be that the EGCG interferes with the signals that tell platelets to stick together and clot.

Some of the other catechins in green tea seem to have the opposite effect of EGCG, but the research on that is thinner.

Based on all that, if I had really low platelets and bleeding or bruising problems, I'd be very careful about green tea.

Thanks for the heads up tytd!

Take care,

Greg
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 06:59 AM

That's what I heard about green tea too.
So I am still avoiding green tea & NSAID.
It seems there are some healthy food that may have an impact on platelets.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 08:03 AM

Tytd....So much depends on the individual as whether or not you take green tea. What is your platelet count and how well are your platelets working for you? There's more to clotting than platelets. Even if you have low platelets, you can still have blood that clots too much for other reasons. We knew a young women who was first diagnosed with ITP and ended up with a blood clot in her leg.

John's worked very well and even at 4K, he took supplements that are known to thin the blood but our goal was to strengthen blood vessels, counter act the iron and correct some toxic nerve damage. He took omega 3 oils and at one point his doc said to stop and see if it made a difference in his platelets. It did not so he went back on it. None of the supplements or healthy foods he ate caused any problems.

So based on below and like Greg said, green tea seems to do both. Vitamin K in the tea helps blood to clotting while other components keep the platelets less sticky. And like Greg said, if you have bleeding problems now, you may want to start slowly and see how you do. I would stick with the whole product versus a supplement though. If you want to try it, get some good organic green tea and have one cup a day for a week and see how you do.

From University of Maryland Medical Center:
Blood Thinning Medications (Including Aspirin) -- People who take warfarin, a blood thinning medication, should not drink green tea. Since green tea contains vitamin K, it can make warfarin ineffective. Meanwhile, you should not mix green tea and aspirin because they both prevent platelets from clotting. Using the two together may increase your risk of bleeding.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the info Marlene.

I do get unexplained bruises so perhaps I should avoid drinking green tea.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene;18529[B
From University of Maryland Medical Center:[/b]
Blood Thinning Medications (Including Aspirin) -- People who take warfarin, a blood thinning medication, should not drink green tea. Since green tea contains vitamin K, it can make warfarin ineffective. Meanwhile, you should not mix green tea and aspirin because they both prevent platelets from clotting. Using the two together may increase your risk of bleeding.
Hey Marlene!

Thanks for posting that. I saw that one, too, and it helpfully captures the "maybe-maybe not" "your mileage may vary" aspect of supplements.

Everyone is different, and, as well all know too well, everyone's MDS or AA or whatever odd bone marrow weirdness is also different. So what works for one person may or may not work for all.

Take care!

Greg
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 05:47 PM

green teamay platelet dysfuntion cause

green tea may cause platelet dysfuntion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Hi All!

I've seen a couple of comments on various threads about green tea and iron. What I have gathered is that green tea reduces absorption of iron in the gut, but doesn't actually remove iron that's already accumulated elsewhere in the body

Does anyone know whether it has a similar effect to reduce absorption of copper or zinc? Or is the absorption effect iron specific?

I drink 1.0-1.5 liters of green tea a day, and also take 900 mg of Bluebonnet's EGCG Standardized green tea leaf extract.

If all this is reducing my iron absorption, I'm not too worried, as my transfusions will likely take care of that issue. But it would be un-nice if it was also messing up my already deficit copper or messing about with my zinc.

Anyone have insights on this one?

Take Care!

Greg
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 06:39 PM

Diet, supplements for low platelets

I have a low platelet count (highest I've had in 6 mo is 32. Usually the count is 12-21) I read with interest that green tea is not recommended. Has anyone found anything -- diet or supplement-wise -- that might help?

Thanks.
NadiaT
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 10:02 PM

Hi, I've never had a bad platelet problem but my doctor recommended pineapple. He said preferably the fruit, not the juice.

Regards
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 07:40 PM

pineapple & pomegranate help increase platelets

I've read & been told by my hematologist, that pineapple AND pomegranate can increase platelets. If you don't already suscribe to www.PDSA.org, you should so you can keep up with EVERYTHING that can lower platelets )
Linda, 47 yo, married, mother of a teen, moderate AA w/ TERC mutation (2007 NIH), Pulmonary Fibrosis 2010, was on Danazol study (Aug 2011-2013 & restarted 9/14/15), last transfusion May 2011. On Promacta now. Needing a double lung and stem cell transplant.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 09:11 PM

Linda,
I hoe you are planning on attending the San Antonio walk on March 24.

http://www.aamds.org/community-event...ure-5k-runwalk
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/