Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Fri May 24, 2013, 01:25 AM

Question ATG at age 72..and long term servival ?

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, but often visit this site. Thanks to all here who shared their knowledge and experience to support each other facing this dreadful disease. my dad is 72 years old last month diagnose with SAA.his CBC report (pre ATG) is HB-6.5 WBC-1500 Plt-15K.doctor started ATG on 16 may 2013..innitially we were worried about ATG at this Age, we consult almost 1/2 dozen heamato.but all suggested go for supportive treatment bcoz dad creatine level on border line 1.5,ATG at this age kind of risk..but we cant wait to see dad in worse condition.With god grace one of doctor suggested us lets we go for moderate ATG treatment..bfore ATG he started nuroday tab 1500mg,danozol 100mg, cyclosporine 100mg...but after 1st dose of cyclosporine litle blood found in urine so doc stop cyclo..on 16 may 2013 ATG started 10mg/kg/day...but god grace dad tolerate all ATG doses..we have not notice any side effect..like nausia,rashesh on skin or any other..my questiont is to senior is it good sign or bad..doctor said now wait till 3 month to get result..modrate ATG will work at this Age..thanks lot..
Old Fri May 24, 2013, 04:15 PM

Hello Mukul3264,

I hope your dad does well. Please keep us informed as to how he is doing.

Thank you and blessings
Old Fri May 24, 2013, 07:21 PM
Owner

Amol,

I don't think a reaction to ATG (like a skin rash) is a good sign. Some people have reactions and some don't. I don't think it's a sign that the ATG is working or not working.

What matter are the real longer-term effects of the immunosuppressive therapy. It can take weeks or months, as his doctor said, to know the results.

I'm glad that your father didn't have any quick reactions, and I hope you see signs soon that the ATG is having the desired effect on his blood counts.
Old Sat May 25, 2013, 07:27 AM

Hi Thanks
Neil and jabb

for your reply..with ur reply i m getting some confidence over ATG..last three days doc has strated grafeel (Filgrastim is a granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF) ) injection..post ATG dad WBC was 310, after grafeel (G-CSF) WBC increasing day by day..400-600-800...finger crossed... it will reached at there desire numbers...
Old Wed Jul 24, 2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukul3264 View Post
Hi Thanks
Neil and jabb

for your reply..with ur reply i m getting some confidence over ATG..last three days doc has strated grafeel (Filgrastim is a granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF) ) injection..post ATG dad WBC was 310, after grafeel (G-CSF) WBC increasing day by day..400-600-800...finger crossed... it will reached at there desire numbers...
Hi Amol,
Sure sorry you Dad is going thru this disease. Glad the modified ATG isn't causing a big problem. I'm 72 and had ATG 5 years ago. I had every side effect possible but survived it OK. ATG didn't cure me but I have slowly recovered months later. I rode my bicycle 250 miles last month so don't let the doctors assume he isn't able to respond. Best of luck. Write me directly if I can be of help.
Ron AKA flyguy