Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 10:39 PM

Elevated CK on Relapse

Has anyone experienced elevated CK levels with AA? Last December, my blood work revealed a relapse with elevated Creatine Kinase (CK). The elevated CK was first thought to be due Crestor of which I had been taking only for two months. However my levels continue to rise still two months after stopping Crestor. Still working to resolve this issue; does anybody have a similar scenario?
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 06:40 PM

Dear Dave, I am very sorry to hear of your relapse. Have you been on CSA since treatment or just restarted after the relapse? If restarted, how long did you take the CSA originally? Did you experience elevated CK values while on the initial high CSA dose they usually give right after ATG treatment? My daughter was treated at the same time as you were. Although I know that relapse can happen any time, hearing about it at two plus years out is hard since we were told that the majority of relapses happen within the first couple of years.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 08:09 PM

elevated cpk

Dear Kim,

I was placed on ATG and CSA when I was Dx in Dec 2007. My treatment lasted for approximately 5 months. During remission, I was drug free (no CSA). In Dec. 2009 I relapsed with low platelets and elevated cpk. I was not started on CSA until I had a BM biopsy in the beginning of Jan. Currently taking a therapeutic dose of CSA. I hope your daughter is doing well, please keep me posted.

Regards,

Dave_in_USA
Old Tue Mar 2, 2010, 05:35 PM

My daughter has been doing well (bless your heart for asking!) although last month she had a drop in Hgb that we were hoping was just "girl stuff". The doctor had her retest in one month instead of two and thankfully yesterday's results showed the Hgb back up where it was 5 months ago. Unfortunately it also showed a pretty good drop in platelets. She's been running in the 160 - 180 range and yesterday's number was 124. Did your platelets drop quickly or over time? I'm trying to decide how worried to be about this. Last week was mid-terms at UW which is always stressful so I'm hoping this is a combination of stress and ?? rather than the start of something we don't want to experience again.
Old Wed Mar 3, 2010, 05:49 PM

Kim,

I was having blood work drawn about every 3 months and was doing well until
I starting taking the Crestor. About 2 months on the statin, I experienced muscle ache and discomfort. I went in to have this checked. It was then that I found my platelet count had dropped significantly along with the elevated ck level. Hope to resolve both issues , although it is a slow process. It's good that your daughters Dr. is having her checked more frequently. Wish her the best with her health and school.
Dave