Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Wed May 27, 2015, 05:39 AM

Danazol + cyclosporine

Hi All,

I need some advice on the above drug combinations (Danazol 200mg*2 + cyclosporine 25mg*4) as i am a bit worry on the combine dosage. Just wondering has anyone try these combinations before.

Some info why the trainee Hema wants my mum to try the combine dosage. My mum has been on Danazol for around 18 months (started Nov 2013), after consuming the Danazol for around 8/9 months, the HGB has been progressing quite well. The HGB has increased from 8 plus to 11.4 in around 6 months (Sept 2014 till Feb 2015), but the HGB drops slowly after the hospital changed the Danazol supplier, Different Supplier from Feb 2015. From Feb 2015 till now, the HGB drop from 11.4 to 9.

I suspect the main reason might be the "NEW danazol" as the timing is exactly matched. Just wondering anyone know about the contains of the Danazol, i mean the drugs portion used in making the drug itself.

As the HGB dropped, the trainee hema recommending the combine drugs but also telling my sis that there might be adverse side effect.

Any comments is welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Medical History
Actually my mum tried cyclosporine before with the dosage from 75mg/day to 150mg/day within 6 months period few years back, no response.
Teo, son to Goh, age 71 dx mightbe MDS with low HB & RBC Jan 2012; FE 7755 on Nov 2014 - 6*500mg ferriprox; BT every month since Feb 2012; BMB done July 2013 - no conclusive evidence of MDS or PRCA; EPO stopped Nov 2013; Danazol 200mg*2 starts Nov 2013 + cyclosporine 25mg*4 starts June 2015
Old Wed May 27, 2015, 10:05 PM

I have used both at the same time, but I don't remember the amounts of each. I started with more cyclosporine and tapered it off as the Danazol took effect. I also was taking a very small amount of prednisone. It seemed to make the cyclosporine work better.

I don't have any knowledge about different kinds of Danazol.
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/
Old Thu May 28, 2015, 01:24 AM

Hi Triumphe64,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Appreciate that.

After consulting the hema, he says it was same Danazol. I agreed the name is the same but what i mean "NEW Danazol" is, they are from different maker, so my personal view is the manufacturer might be using different amount of drug ingredients to produce the Danazol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphe64 View Post
I have used both at the same time, but I don't remember the amounts of each. I started with more cyclosporine and tapered it off as the Danazol took effect. I also was taking a very small amount of prednisone. It seemed to make the cyclosporine work better.

I don't have any knowledge about different kinds of Danazol.
Teo, son to Goh, age 71 dx mightbe MDS with low HB & RBC Jan 2012; FE 7755 on Nov 2014 - 6*500mg ferriprox; BT every month since Feb 2012; BMB done July 2013 - no conclusive evidence of MDS or PRCA; EPO stopped Nov 2013; Danazol 200mg*2 starts Nov 2013 + cyclosporine 25mg*4 starts June 2015
Old Thu Jul 30, 2015, 07:15 AM

Info : Different Danazol Manufacturer

Hi All,

Just want to share my mum experience on Danazol.

My mum was consuming 2 different manufacturer Danazol. One is from Malaysia and the other one from Cyprus. Danazol from cyprus helps her to improve her HGB. But the one from Malaysia causing her HGB to go down.

When she consumed Danazol from Malaysia, according to my mum, the color of the urine was dark brown, so i believe the danazol actually "drain" blood out of the body, just my guess. But my mum never told us as she doesnt feel uncomfortable. We have not meet the Hema yet. Will see Hema on August. As mentioned before, the hema told my sister that both Danazol are the same which i doubt it now.

We managed to find the previous Danazol from Cyprus but only 11 boxes left (get it from one of the distributor in malaysia). According to the distributor, government stopped importing this drug now.

Anyway my mum now consuming the Danazol from Cyprus and his HGB is improving.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2015, 09:28 PM

I'm sure they are generic, so are probably different. Stick with the one that works.
Mention the color urine to the Dr. It could be PNH.
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/
Old Fri Aug 21, 2015, 12:55 PM

Sodium out of range

Hi all, i need advice about sodium, my mum sodium is at 126 (13/Aug) and increase to 129 after 3 days later. Her sodium has been within range for the past 3.5 years. Just wondering is this number looks bad for my mum or still manageable ?

Another thing that i am concerned about is my mum can not have the CPR as her bone is fragile. This is what has been told by the Hema. Just wondering is this true for MDS/AA patient.
Old Fri Sep 18, 2015, 01:38 AM

Anyone knows where to get this Danazol

Hi all,

I have difficulty to source for the same kind of Danazol for my mum. Malaysia government stopped importing this drug. My mum consumed this Danazol for around 2 years now, and his HGB is quite stable so far.

The reason why i am looking for this Danazol is mentioned at the beginning of the thread.

I sent an enquiry to Remedica, the manufacturer but so far they did not reply my mail. Checked with Singapore General Hospital, they are using the Danazol from Malaysia.

If you happen to know where to find the same kind of Danazol as per the attachment, please share me the info. Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Mom_Danazol.docx (1.10 MB, 2 views)
Old Fri Sep 18, 2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teo View Post
Hi all,

I have difficulty to source for the same kind of Danazol for my mum. Malaysia government stopped importing this drug. My mum consumed this Danazol for around 2 years now, and his HGB is quite stable so far.

The reason why i am looking for this Danazol is mentioned at the beginning of the thread.

I sent an enquiry to Remedica, the manufacturer but so far they did not reply my mail. Checked with Singapore General Hospital, they are using the Danazol from Malaysia.

If you happen to know where to find the same kind of Danazol as per the attachment, please share me the info. Thanks in advance.
I do not know.