Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > Bone Marrow Failure
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bone Marrow Failure Causes, treatment approaches, terminology, related diseases

Old Tue Dec 12, 2017, 03:06 AM

Blood film

Hi, I recently received a copy of my blood results with a blood film report.

I understand most of it but although I know what these terms are, I donít know their significance.

Hb 79
Hct 0.27
Rcc 3.6
Mcv 77
Mch 22
Mchc 287
Plats 150 only normal count
Neuts 1.2
Lymphs 0.6

Thatís ok. These are as good or better than normal.

However the report says dimorphic (yep, know what that means) normocytic and normochromic (know what that means) red cell fragments present, nucleated red blood cells present, platelet anisocytosis with large and giant platelets.

I donít know if the last part of the report is significant. Iíve also noted a couple of my biochemistry results are a bit off too. My ca, protein are low and couple of my liver enzymes high. The ALP has always been a little raised but itís steadily climbing each test and now my AST increased on the last couple of tests as well.

Iíd be grateful if anyone has insight as I donít have any appt with the haematologist for months and my Physician doesnít seem to check my blood results (except the hb for transfusion purposes).

Thank you.

Carol.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2017, 06:17 PM

Iíve made the mistake of Googling the results.

Iíve been told my BMB (done a year or so ago) showed some dysplasia but not enough for a diagnosis of MDS. I also had a chromosome deletion but it wasnít one usually associated with MDS. But now that Iíve seen the blood film report and I have these new changes Iím wondering if my disease is changing or progressing.

The nrbcs and the large and giant platelets seem to be an indicator of MDS or malignancy. The red cell fragments and raised liver function tests can show haemolysis.

I feel a little disappointed that my Doctor doesnít seem to have even looked at my results in detail for the last few months. The only result he ever mentioned was the Hb and the neuts (when they were a lot lower). I have no follow up appts with the haematologist scheduled and the Physician doesnít seem to want to address any issues other than the anaemia and blood transfusions.

Would it be appropriate for me to try to contact the haemotologist and ask him to review and explain my test results? Or am I being overly concerned about nothing much?

I would appreciate some advice.

Carol
Old Sun Dec 17, 2017, 01:33 AM

Hi Carol,

I think it would definitely be appropriate for you ask your doctor to explain your results and the possible causes. I don't know the significance of the blood dysplasia that you have listed or if it is indicative of MDS or something else.

Sorry I can't be of more help! I don't want you to think that no one is listening out here

You need to understand the cause so that you can hopefully get off the transfusions.
50 yo female, dx 9/08, AA/hypo-MDS, subclinical PNH, ATG/CsA 12/08, partial response. Tried slow cyclosporine taper over 4+ years. Platelets fell, so back on cyclosporine. Trisomy 6 clone in 5% of cells.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2017, 01:08 AM

Thank you Hopeful. I still donít know if my results mean anything has changed. I rang the haematologists office and asked if he could look at my recent results and let me know if I needed to do anything. I received a phone call back from the secretary to say the haem had booked an appointment for me to see him on Jan 14.

Iím assuming he wants to discuss the results but it could be just a routine visit...I donít know.

My mother passed away 2 months ago and Iím trying to care for my father and while heís still physically fit for a 90yo, he is grieving terribly and I feel Iím not able to be as supportive as I should be because Iím so incredibly weary. The tiredness seems to be so deep itís inside my bones. Itís hard to describe.

I just need to remain patient and do my best to eat well and stay well until I get some answers.

Carol.