Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Tue Aug 31, 2010, 02:06 PM

Type I diabetes and Vidaza therapy

My sister who is 53 years old and a brittle diabetic for years was recently diagnosed with MDS and was recently started on Vidaza therapy. In addition to making her nauseous, it has increased her blood sugar levels tremendously. Has anyone had any experience with this type of diabetes and Vidaza therapy? I worry because she has to take insulin to lower her blood sugar but is too nauseous to eat. Any comments would be very helpful.

Alicia91
Old Wed Sep 1, 2010, 02:43 PM

Hi Alicia,

I have no experience with either. Had to look up brittle diabetes. I just wanted to acknowledge your post so that you don't feel we are ignoring you. There's not a lot of discussion here regarding diabetes occurring with bone marrow failure. I hope your sister's nausea eases enough so she can eat. The two things that really helped John were fresh watermelon and yellow squash soup. The yellow squash soup tip was given to us by a nutritionist. You basically slice up the summer yellow squash and cook it water until tender and then puree it. Add salt to taste. This was one thing John could tolerate. It's good hot or cold.

Marlene
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Wed Sep 1, 2010, 09:19 PM

Red face Thank you

Thank you for the suggestion. Even though she is a picky eater, I am sure anything she can keep down at this point will be good.

Beverly
Old Thu Sep 2, 2010, 07:58 AM

John's nausea was so bad that he could only handle certain brands of bottle water and ginger ale. So i understand about being picky. We would use peppermint oil in his mask when he walked the halls of the hospital to mask the smells. A little goes a very long way. Sometimes we would switch it to lemon. You have to be very careful with peppermint.

You just have to keep trying different things.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Tue Sep 28, 2010, 09:11 AM

My father is a type-2 diabetic who just completed his sixth cycle of Vidaza treatment. The very first cycle he had sever nausea - since then each day along with Vidaza he has Granicet injection which completely controls his nausea.

In his case, it is the other way around w.r.t Diabetes - we have to watch out for hypo glycemia - a couple of times his blood sugar has dropped to low levels - hence during days of Vidaza administration he tries to maintain slightly elevated sugar levels than normal.