Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Mon Jul 25, 2016, 11:19 PM

Thrombocytosis and Agent Orange

Looking for wericks049 or anyone else that has information. I read your posting from a couple years ago. I too have been diagnosed with Thombocytosis. I'm being treated at the VA in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our stories are very similar. I served in Vietnam from 1970 to 1971. I spent most of my time in the field and was exposed to Agent Orange. My platelet count was off the chart. I'm currently taking hydroxyurea 500MG daily. How can we get together and discuss? My number is 812-376-9198.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2016, 11:54 PM
Owner

ColumbusButch,

You can send email or a private forum message to werickso49 using the links on this page.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2016, 09:36 AM

ColumbusButch, I am curious about your exposure to agent orange? I was in Vietnam 70-71, in the infantry and always in the field. I know that they have declared everyone to have been exposed, but I saw no physical indication in the vegetation that I was actually exposed. Did you see any direct indication? I know some places it was used more than others. I was with the Americal Div. in the I Corp. Thank you for the help in Vietnam.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2016, 04:08 PM

I can't say I saw any planes spraying. I'm sure my exposure can from bathing in puddles, rivers, drinking water that we tried to purify or just being in the bush. I'm trying to link my problems with my exposure. There are other vets out there with the same issue and I'm trying to connect.t5
Old Tue Jul 26, 2016, 04:15 PM

Weriçkso49 left no contact information
Old Tue Jul 26, 2016, 06:01 PM

I went to the VA primarily to get into their data base to share my Vietnam experience in case others had a similar experience. It was when I put Vietnam, agent orange, stem cell transplant and leukemia into the same sentence that they labeled me 100 percent disabled. I had all of my medical records with me. The appointment only took about 20 minutes and was my only contact that I have ever had with a VA doctor. My purpose wasn't for compensation.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2016, 09:21 PM

What is the difference between thrombocytosis and essential thrombocythemia? They similar definitions.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2016, 02:58 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusButch View Post
What is the difference between thrombocytosis and essential thrombocythemia? They similar definitions.
Thrombocytosis is the condition of having too many platelets (thrombocytes).

So is essential thrombocythemia, but essential thrombocythemia is more specific. It's the type of thrombocytosis caused by a bone marrow disease like MDS.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2016, 08:07 AM

Thanks for your help Neil.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 10:56 PM

I'm back!(werickso49)

Columbus Butch.............After such a long time of not being current with Marrowforums,I recently got back on the site,by chance.Please contact me,if you are still interested in my experience with ET.....My e-mail address is: werickso49@gmail.com, or cell: 603-759-0634,and leave a msg if necessary.Hoping to hear from you soon,brother............. Wayne Erickson
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 11:03 PM

Additional information about ET

For those that have ET,may I suggest you go to a most helpful site,to help understand this disease,and it's possible link to Agent Orange.Google search: MPN Research Foundation and get as much information as you can.It helped me alot!.........Comments are appreciated as you all see fit.Very interesting reading(BTW...............As best as I can understand.....Essential Thrombocytosis AND Essential Thrombocythemia are basically the same and MAY have a connection to Agent Orange............Oh yeh,I am also JAK2 gene mutation positive...........Hoping to hear from anyone soon..........Wayne Erickson