Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 04:30 PM

new to this forum

Hi! My name is Penney. I am 59 and was diagnosed with a Thymoma in 2014. Nine rounds of chemotherapy and open heart surgery followed. The tumor had however, metastasized, and not all could be removed, thus a debulking procedure was performed...meaning they removed as much as they could. Two years later one of the tumors had completely wrapped around my superior vena cava, causing an 80% stenosis. All bloodwork up to and including this point showed normal hemoglobin levels. In December I had radiation therapy on the tumor surrounding the SVC. I was told by radiology that the thymoma could have been growing for 15 to 20 years. I was admitted to the hospital a week after radiation was completed with a burned esophagus which left me unable to eat or drink. I was given two units of blood. By the end of January I was exhausted, dizzy, unable to climb stairs and had passed out. Back in the hospital the first week of January, a bone marrow biopsy revealed a diagnosis of PRCA. Prednisone was prescribed but did not work. I have been transfusion dependent for the past year. A ferritin test done a couple of weeks ago showed a level of 1,438. The nurse practitioner in the oncologists office recommended Exjade. I should mention that we are on vacation and my oncologist from home has suggested a certain type of MRI to determine more accurately the levels of iron in my heart and kidneys.

I am curious to know if anyone else has had a diagnosis of PRCA following radiation treatment?

I am very interested to know of any NATURAL chelation therapy as I am only willing to take more drugs as a last resort!!!

My hemoglobin level varies between 7.0 and 10.5 with transfusions at +/- 3 week intervals.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 05:19 AM

Hi Penney,
I have no helpful information, just wanted to say sorry you have gone through so much! I am a nurse and I know how painful open heart surgery is, let alone all the chemo you have gone through. Hopefully someone will read this who can offer you some answers.
Lisa.
Now 30yr old. Diagnosed AML dec 2015 (Most likely MDS prior). Trisomy 6. Runx1 mutation also. Had induction and consolidation chemo. Marrow failure ++ so SCT on 21st of March with MUD. Married with a 1yr old!