Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Fri Dec 2, 2011, 10:31 PM

Grandparenthood

I am an MDS survivor, 2.5 years since my clinical trial at the NIH. Since then, I have seen my son graduate college; celebrated his graduation from the police academy, and yesterday, I was in the hospital not for any blood disorder issues, but to see my son become a DAD. It's been a long ride, but having had the time to be here for all of this is great. And becoming a Grandma is simply out of this world. I am so happy and hope I keep this disease at bay for many, many more wonderful experiences to come!
Old Fri Dec 2, 2011, 10:39 PM

Congratulations to you and the new parents, Lisa!
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com
Old Sat Dec 3, 2011, 01:30 AM
Owner

That's just fantastic, Lisa. Huge congratulations! I guess congratulations are due your son and grandchild too, but I think YOU deserve the most credit. After all, you survived MDS to be there for such a grand event!

This is what teaches us what's most important: our lives, our health, and our loved ones.
Old Sat Dec 3, 2011, 02:09 PM

Congratulations Granny...

My MDS DX in January 2008 was such that only 3 months was all I had left. Not enough life even to celibrate my granddaughter's first birthday. All I wanted was to see that happy time with my family.

Well, so much for that medical estimate! Here I am today with three grandbabies to celebrate Christmas with and many more birthdays too. I'm living a positive lifestyle and what will be will be. No more speculation for me.
Ric: Low-risk MDS (blasts <4%); 4 cycles Revlimid no positive response; PRBC transfusion dependent; so far, 392'units' over 8 3/4 years; BMB #4 (15/04/01) shows evolution to AML (blasts 20-30%) 47,XY,del(5) (q22q35),+21[24][cp24]/46,XY(1).
Old Sat Dec 3, 2011, 07:06 PM

Congratulations Lisa!

How wonderful for you and congratulations to you and your family. I was hoping maybe you could share what your treament was and little more about your two and a half year journey. My husband has just been diagnosed and this is all very confusing and over whelming. I found encouragement in your post. Thank you and congratulations again.
Old Sat Dec 3, 2011, 08:35 PM

Congratulations Lisa -- on all counts!

Take Care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com
Old Sat Dec 3, 2011, 09:05 PM

that is wonderful news! congrats!
Old Mon Dec 5, 2011, 07:28 AM

So happy for you--your post made me smile!
It reminds us to never give up as we never know what tomorrow will bring!
Enjoy that new baby!
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly
Old Tue Dec 6, 2011, 06:49 PM

How wonderful to hear of a positive outcome......!!!! Thanks so much for your encouragement...... ! : )