Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Mon Dec 5, 2011, 04:11 PM

Treatments

I have been taken treatments for MDS since last April. I have had 7 blood transfusions and they are being given about once every 3 weeks. I take 2 units each time. I also recieve a shot of Aranesp every 2 weeks. I take shots of Neupogen 3 times a week.In addition I take exjade every day for iron overload,
Does this sound normal or what should I expect in the future? The Dr. makes me believe this can go on for a long time.
John 86 years old.
Old Tue Dec 6, 2011, 09:40 AM

It sounds like a reasonable protocol to me. At least you're getting care, I'm still on a watch and wait list, I have the slowly creeping down kind of MDS, very exasperating. At your's and my age, a stem cell or bone marrow transplant is out of the question, so there is no cure for what us oldies have, only care. It ain't the best, but what choice do we have. I don't wish to sound gloomy and wish there was better news for us, but if there is any I don't see it. That's how I see my future too, same as yours. Others may chime in here.