Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Tue Oct 6, 2009, 05:29 PM

Did anyone live or work at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina?

I have had aplastic anemia since I was three. I went into remission at age 12. I am now, again, bring followed by a hematologist for dwindling counts.

I am trying to get in contact with other people who have aplastic anemia, PNH or MDS who either lived or worked at U.S. Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune in North Carolina between 1957 and 1987. The reason being is that there was highly contaminated water being pumped into base housing for those 30 years. One of the contaminants was benzene, which is known to cause aplastic anemia.

I have already been in touch with 2 other people who were exposed who also have/have had aplastic anemia. Up to 1 million people were exposed at Lejeune.

Other illnesses (a lot of cancers) are being reported in the Lejeune population as well. If you or someone you know was there and is now sick, please contact me. My email address is andreab511254@aol.com or you can visit my website www.tftptf.com.

Thank you
Old Wed Oct 7, 2009, 11:35 AM

I also wanted to tell Neil thanks so much for having these forums. I know personally AA has been a very lonely disease for me and I imagine I'm not the only one who feels that way. Having others to talk to about this is such a great feeling. I can barely put it into words. Thank you again!
Old Thu Oct 8, 2009, 09:28 AM

Just saw a CNN report last night regarding the high incident of breast cancer in men who were either stationed there or born there. Even though the it focused on breast cancer, they mentioned that there are other diseases being reported as a result of the contaminated water at the base.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Fri Oct 9, 2009, 02:53 PM

Marlene- You are correct. I am good friends with Mike Partain who is one of the men with breast cancer. We're seeing high incidences of a lot of diseases- various forms of cancer, bone marrow diseases, birth defects etc.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 04:38 PM

My Dad was at....

Camp Lejeune, but his DD-214 shows he was discharged in 1954. Any info as to if it was a problem prior to 1957?
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 06:34 PM

I wasnt around Lejuene during that 30 year period, but I lived at Camp Lejeune from 1998 to 2002 when I was in the Marine Corps. Then I got diagnosed with Aplastic Anemia and medivac'd out to Bethesda, MD and subsequently medically retired.

Not sure if that information is helpful, but no one knows how I got this and my research lead me to this topic as well. If there is anything I can do to help please feel free to let me know.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2011, 05:17 PM

kgtuck

I have just now joined marrowforums and have read the reports RE: water contamination at Camp LeJeune. I have had MDS since June '09; began treatment of Dacogen; after 3 rounds of treatments, my blood counts have been stable since! I lived at Camp LeJeune from 1961-62, my family was one of the first occupants in the new housing development and attended the brand new High School across the street. I was 14 years old at that time and attended that HS as a freshman.

I have been perfectly healthy for 63 years; have never smoked; no familial history of any type of cancer and no chromosome abnormalities. The doctors say that MDS is caused mainly from smoking or exposure to benzene (which was found to be a major component in the water contamination study). They do say that this type of disease can occur many, many years after being exposed.

I have read many reports and have joined the website for individuals who may have been affected by the water contamination. Every now and then I'll see a news report on cases against the govt. regarding this issue. My understanding is that the property mentioned above previously was the site of dry cleaning factories, and that the problem years were 1957-1982!
Old Fri Jul 20, 2012, 08:01 AM

The Senate passes a bill to help those affected by the contamination at Camp LeJuene. I don't know what illnesses they will pay for though.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1686516.html
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Fri Jul 20, 2012, 09:11 AM

Progress!

Glad to see continuing publicity re: water contamination at LeJeune, including admittance of guilt, and bills being submitted in Congress.
I received an article "LeJeune health care bill is unstuck in Senate" via facebook; at www.armytimes.com (included an actual LIST of the DISEASES that have been reported and are known to be caused by the high concentration of chemicals (high doses of benzene) found in the water there. I filled out a survey a few months ago conducted by the CDC (Atlanta). Am curious to see results, but I believe I know what they will show!

Last edited by kgtuck : Fri Jul 20, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 09:29 PM

My husband served at Camp Lejeune in 1965 and has been diagnosed with MDS.
Kathy,wife of 69 year old male with DX June 2013 with MDS= RAEB 2refractory with Extra Blast Very High Risk WBC 1.9-RBC 2.29-HGB 8.1-PLT 32-, as of Aug 2013:. BMB 12/4/13= WBC 5.57/RBC 4.86/HGB 15.5/HCT 42.8/RDW 49.6/PLT 188. 3% blast.BMB 4/11/14 WBC1.6,PLT12,RBC2.6,HGB9.2