Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > Bone Marrow Failure
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bone Marrow Failure Causes, treatment approaches, terminology, related diseases

Old Sun Jun 14, 2015, 03:40 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirley View Post
I just don't see the point of having pain if you don't need to have it.
I agree. A medical team that does not tend to a patient's pain is treating the disease, not the patient.

I also want to point out that it's more than just a comfort issue. My wife's hematologist told us that they got a much better sample when my wife was sufficiently sedated. Perhaps it was from clenched muscles or slight movement, but whatever the reason the biopsy didn't produce as good a sample on the occasions when she had only very light anesthesia.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2015, 06:59 PM

I had 2 both without sedation, I'd say both were about the same and the pain was brief when they break through. I also had 2 root canals and I would put the BMB on the same pain scale. I was told that I wouldn't need anything and they do it all the time. I had asked about the drill on the second one but was told they didn't use them. I know they had a trainee doing both of mine and I assume that those folks need the experience in getting the samples. I'm guessing but I would think they need to be trained to do the procedure with a manual tool and a non sedated patient. I absolutely agree that if you can avoid the pain you should if approached for pain relief I wouldn't turn it down but in my experiences it was bearable. I did not have my first one scheduled so I had no time to worry about it and it worked out ok. Last BMB for me was 4 or 5 years ago so things may have changed in the center I go to with sedation and drills being the norm now. I also guessing but I would think the sedation rules out driving for a period of time.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2015, 01:00 PM

I had a bone marrow biopsy this morning. All they did was numb the immediate area. They started about 845 AM and were finished in about 30 minutes. I did not have to hang around after they had finished. I live four miles from the Cancer Center. I was back home by 945 AM.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2015, 01:14 PM

I had my 14th BMB yesterday. The whole procedure took about 15 minutes. Then I had about 15 minutes on my back as compression of the procedure to discourage bleeding and allow the fentanyl citrate to wear off. Then I walked out and felt no pain at all after the procedure. This was a similar experience as the previous 13 biopsies.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2015, 12:34 AM

I've had two BMBs, one with the hollow needle and one with the drill. The needle biopsy was extremely unpleasant and they couldn't get a good enough sample. The drill was MUCH better and, as others have said, caused a lot less bruising. It sounds like the pain varies some depending on the individual, but you can arrange for the biopsy done with the drill, I think it's worth it.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2015, 06:42 PM

My first bmb was absolutely awful. I was actually crying from it. I don't think the dr. doing it used enough local anesthetic and I didn't take an Ativan before because I thought they were giving it to me there. It actually hurt for several days after that and the worst part - it was a dry tap.

The second one was by a different doc and the nurse told me he used lots of local anesthetic and this time I took an Ativan about 30 min before the procedure. This one wasn't bad at all and I wasn't sore for days after and he got fluid too.

I go for one on Friday in prep for my transplant in Sept. My hematologist is going to do it. Hopefully he is as good as the 2nd doc. (who I did request again but couldn't do it)

I have Kaiser ins. and they won't pay for sedation.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2015, 10:57 PM

I have had a half dozen or more BMB. One was manual and I felt pressure from them trying to get the needle in. The rest were electric drill. All except one was was almost completely painless even inserting the anasetic. One I think they forgot to load the anasetic and it was painful. The technician said the sedation does very little and I never tried it.

Ray
Old Fri Aug 5, 2016, 03:11 PM

New Breakthrough for pain.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...tm_medium=post
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/
Old Sat Aug 6, 2016, 08:11 AM

I'm having my 10th in 2 days. I love the fentanyl and midazolam actually :-) yes the worst part is when they take the aspirate.. I hate the clicking noise when they get the bone too. In Melbourne you have to lay flat for an hour! I have only had manual so can't comment on the drill. But yes overall not too bad once the drugs kick in.
Now 30yr old. Diagnosed AML dec 2015 (Most likely MDS prior). Trisomy 6. Runx1 mutation also. Had induction and consolidation chemo. Marrow failure ++ so SCT on 21st of March with MUD. Married with a 1yr old!
Old Mon Aug 15, 2016, 04:58 PM

I had 2 BMB's pre trans and 2 post trans. They were done at diff locations but were identical as far as the procedure goes. No drill and no sedation, just a local. Being sedated is obviously more of a hassle, and I was told that most patients were ok w/ the local. Both the HMO that I had at the time along w/ the blood cancer specialty clinic were and are always very matter of fact about procedures and tests, and none of mine were that bad. And related pain and discomfort will probably be diff depending on where the incision is made and the location of where the marrow sample is taken.

Mario
Old Tue Aug 16, 2016, 07:18 PM

Re BMBs we may be able to avoid them in the future - see this from UK MDS foundation:

http://mdspatientsupport.org.uk/bloo...arrow-biopsies
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2016, 08:30 PM

That's interesting, I've just had an assay karyotype done on a blood sample. Dr did mention bone marrow biopsy but went with this in the meantime.