Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Sun Nov 10, 2013, 11:34 PM

Bone marrow biopsy - have questions

I was diagnosed with a myeloproliferative blood disorder 4 years ago and recently had a bmb which showed things inconsistent with mpn's and possibly an mds. I see my hem on Tuesday but going crazy in the meantime.

Here are the comments on the bmb:

Mildly hypercellular marrow (60-70%)
With trilineage hematopoiesis, mild megakaryocytic hyperplasia and dysmegakaryopoiesis
Focal, mild marrow fibrosis

Is this consistent with an mds diagnosis or an mpn/mds? Thanks for any help.
Old Mon Nov 11, 2013, 03:54 PM

BrendaM,

Sometimes these diseases look a lot alike at initial diagnosis. This looks a lot like my first bone marrow biopsy report over 3 years ago. In the end, there are numerous factors that are used to separate out MDS from an MPN. From the information provided, it would be difficult to make the right diagnosis.

Here is some more information from cancer.gov that goes into a pretty detailed description of how to define an MPN

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/p...essional/page4

Typically, if you have dysplasia in your blood cells, you are considered to have MDS instead of an MPN, or some form of an MDS/MPN overalap disorder. There is also a new category of MDS with fibrosis that is sometimes used.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.