Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 09:13 PM

Elevated HGB after transplant

I have never seen this on the forum before, but my husband is almost 2 years post transplant and his HGB has been trending up ever since. At his clinic visit last week, it was 18.9. The doctor ordered more testing after seeing this, but everything came back okay. She has decided to do a biopsy to "be on the safe side". It is scheduled for the 10th of October. He feels great and has absolutely no complaints. Of course we are a bit concerned, so I thought I would ask if anyone has had this problem or heard of anyone having it.
I will be away from my computer for a few days, but will be checking as soon as I return.
Thanks!
Mary, wife of Mike age 70; diagnosed MDS RARS 1999. Tried Vidaza, Revlimid, and Dacogen. SCT 10/1/09 at U of MI; induction FluBu2; sister perfect match donor. 5 years out, little to no GVHD. Off all meds. God is good
Old Sat Sep 24, 2011, 09:36 AM

Mary, I'm sorry to hear that you are uncertain about what is happening. I will be anxiously waiting to hear what the docs say. I will include you and Mike in my prayers as well. Hugs, Lori
Lori, female age 53 dx MDS-RAEB-II 15% blasts 10-2010. Induc Chemo 10/14/10 for 7 days - results unacceptable so 5 additional days chemo. Complete Remission 12/10/10!! SCT 1-11-11 remission achieved!!! BMB 1-29-11 100% Donor! cgvh eyes,skin (Caringbridge.org/visit/loripatrick)
Old Sat Sep 24, 2011, 10:10 AM

Hi Mary,

There was one person with aplastic anemia who, after treatment, had a higher red cell count. I know he was on testosterone to help boost his counts so that played a big factor in it. But from time to time, his red cells would get up to 18. I believe it all leveled out after a while. I don't remember what they did, if anything, for it though.

Sorry can't be more help.

Marlene
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 08:13 PM

Elevated HGB

Thanks Marlene and Lori for responding. I guess we will just have to wait and see what the biopsy tells us. I will be shocked that anything significant is wrong because he feels so good! The monthly phlebotomies were suppose to take care of this. It has lowered his ferritin, but like I wrote, the HGB keeps trending up. The doctor said, "Perhaps your body just really likes your sister's cells!"
Mary, wife of Mike age 70; diagnosed MDS RARS 1999. Tried Vidaza, Revlimid, and Dacogen. SCT 10/1/09 at U of MI; induction FluBu2; sister perfect match donor. 5 years out, little to no GVHD. Off all meds. God is good