Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > PNH
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PNH Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria

Old Wed Sep 6, 2017, 02:56 PM

PNH and military separation

Hi everyone,

My name is David and I was diagnosed with PNH last October. I can no longer serve in the military with PNH and am in the separation process from the USMC Reserve.

My doctor believes that it is very likely to have come from military service and has written a statement regarding that. When at Courthouse Bay, Camp Lejeune I dug up a degraded barrel of unknown chemical (that was marked very similar to drums containing Agent Orange) and I believe that is what caused it. The other Marines that were with me at that time and also dug up the drum now have health issues as well.

Because this happened a few years ago and there was no apparent record of us digging up the barrel I am being told that there is no service connection.

Has anyone else gone through the medical separation process that could offer any insight?

Thank you ahead of time,

David
Old Wed Sep 6, 2017, 09:22 PM

While serving in the Army I was exposed to benzene, a known carcinogenic. 52 years later I was diagnosed with MDS RAEB 2 and had a SCT. I filed for disability and was denied as not being service connected because I never complained about MDS while in service. I have submitted letters from two oncologists that say exposure while serving in the military is as likely as not the cause of my MDS. I have filed a NOD with no decision yet. It is a difficult claim to get disability unless you can show agent orange and Veit Nam. Get a good VSO to guide you through the process. Did you have a transplant. There is a very long thread on agent orange. Search for it.

Ray