Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Sat Oct 6, 2007, 03:35 PM

Question Question for hunters

Has anyone had experience with shooting a gun and having really low platelets? Other than getting a bruised shoulder from the kick of the gun, would there be any risk from the loud noise? I know that is a bizarre question but I was thinking about the concussion of the gunshot?

There is a junior pheasant hunt coming up in our area and it would be great fun for Grant and a friend to do with dads.

Any idea on this?

Wendy/mom to Grant
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 11:03 PM

Well, this may not help much. But here is my 2 cents worth. I am pretty sure that I have been target practicing since AA. But it has been a while. As anyone knows, it is best to wear ear plugs to protect your ears. Other than that, use common sence. All precautions that are normal. I can not think of any other issues with that.
Connie
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 10:29 AM

Smile if your carefull hunting,s ok

hi ..my husband just got back from a hunting trip..he has a big bruise on his arm ...but he,s ok ...they got 2 moose..him and his son..they are 7 guys that have been hunting for 23 year,s He didn,t think he would this year..he left the work to the rest and he was just fine...god is good ..I was really worried to let him go ...but I don,t want to take away the things he love,s ...he has MDS..all counts touched..live life to your best...be careful and it should be fine...
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 03:00 AM

Question for hunters

Hi Wendy:

There have been some changes since my last hunt. A first-time hunting license requires completion of a hunter safety class before issuance. Be sure to check on this well before the hunt. Maybe we could get Dick Chaney to be the class leader. If Grant has never fired a shotgun he also needs instruction on how to mount the gun and lead the target. There is nothing worse for a hunter than to fire round after round and never getting a hit. Hearing protection is a good idea on the practice range but in the field I think it is more important to be able to hear the other hunters.

You can expect to see some blue marking from the recoil but it will go away in a few days. Again, gun safety is the most important consideration. I hope Grant will bag at least one bird and I know he will remember this hunt for a long time. Be sure to give us a full report.

Good hunting Grant.

Wayne
Middle-aged (83 yo) dx Nov 4, 1997 w/MDS-RA+pancytopenia, tx about 18 mo. Responded to EPO+G-CSF. Ferritin dropped from 2500 to 480. Three non-fatal heart attacks, five non-fatal strokes and a lot of TIAs. Otherwise in very good health.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 11:49 PM

Hi Wayne,
Yes, Grant has completed Hunter's Safety and has shot a gun before, but not in a long time and not since his platelets were this low. My hubby is an experienced hunter so he is very safety conscious.

This is a special draw hunt so we're not sure yet whether Grant will get drawn but thanks for the good wishes! I'll be sure to report if he gets a bird!

Wendy/mom to Grant