Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 05:05 PM

substitute for tylenol

I just completed a thirteen day stint in the hospital, so am a bit behind on everything, but have read something on the postings about tylenol lowering platelets. This is a concern to me since I have only 8,000 platelets (and that is up 2 since returning home). My body rejects any efforts to tranfuse platelets, even special matched ones, so what I make is what I get.

I don't want to distroy any of them, however I run a constant fever 24 hours a day, and when it gets really high, tylenol is all I have to use. Is there any substitute for tylenol that is better? Thanks again for any help anyone can give me.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 08:58 PM

Hi there.

Tylenol does not harm or interfere with platelet production...you may be thinking of Motrin (ibuprofen) which is not recommended for someone with a platelet problem.

What is even more concerning is why you are running a fever 24 hours a day? If you are neutropenic, with absolute neutrophil count 500 or less, you shouldn't be masking a fever with tylenol but rather high-tailing to the hospital for admission and IV antibiotic therapy. Fever is not OK and you must push for the answer behind it, your life depends on that.

Best wishes,
Nicole, mom to Evan (20); diagnosed SAA November 2007, hATG mid-November 2007, no response after 6 months, unrelated 9/10 BMT June 2008, no GVH, health completely restored thanks to our beloved donor Bryan from Tennessee.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/evanmacneil
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 01:57 PM

substitute for tylenol

Thanks evansmom,

That releaves my mind. I just a few days ago completed a long hospital stay ro receive industrial strength IV antibiotics, two kinds. I an also on oral antibiotics at home. The infection seems to have been taken care of. I had a bone marrow biopsy while in the hospital, so maybe that will shed some light.

Actually my fever was worse after I came out of the hospital than when I entered - along with some other things.

Thanks again so much: I am just not up to doing my own research yet.