Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Mon Mar 8, 2010, 04:59 PM

How soon did you see a response to Vidaza?

I am so glad to have found this site. I am a 67 year old male in Portland, OR. I was diagnosed with MDS in December of 2009 after blood tests and Bone Marrow Biopsy. I started Vidaza the first week of January 2010 (after a two unit blood transfusion) and I go for five straight days the first week of each month. I just finished the 3rd cycle the first week of March. After the 4th cycle (the first week of April), I will have another Bone Marrow Biopsy. So far the counts are a bit lower than when I started but they tell me it takes at least four cycles to see what's what.

Has anyone seen any improvement? After how many cycles? Was the improvement seen in blood tests or in biopsy?

Thanks
Old Mon Mar 8, 2010, 06:59 PM
Owner

Marais,

Welcome to the forums. By using the search page you can find a number of discussions here about Vidaza. I also suggest searching on the word "cycles".

One discussion in particular starts with a question similar to yours:
MDS Starting Vidaza: What to expect?
Old Mon Mar 8, 2010, 10:23 PM

Marias,

You can see my husbands progress on Vidaza treatment under clinical trial titled e1905. My member name is "Launch". My husband had low numbers of RBCs, WBCs, and Platelets.

Ron was diagnosed Feb'09 and started treatment (Clinical trial e1905). Ron was in the control group that did not receive the experimental drug referred to as MS-275. He only received low dose Vidaza by injection. for 10-Days each 28-Day cycle. Within the first month, his HGB and Hematacrits were starting to climb... no more transfusions required after 1 month... but, his blood counts started looking really good the end of cycle #3.

And steadily Ron's blood counts have increased... please see his charted progress under my posts. Of course, during treatment the numbers do bounce a bit....

I have almost every week's lab since his treatment began. Ron's first Bone Marrow Biospy after treatment began was at the 6th month point. He had reduced blasts and still several aberations of chromosomal abnormalities..... Then, 4 mons later, the next biopsy showed continued improvement, and the last biospy (Feb 3rd) showed only 1 chromosomal aberation now, which is the -5q deletion. Ron will continue on the same protocol... due to the wonderful results so far.

If I can provide any additional information and encouragement, please let me know.... Although Ron has wonderful treatment and incrediable medicine available to treat MDS, our #1 credit and praise is always to God First... for his continued "Healing Touch" on Ron....

We pray that you have the same results...
Cindy