Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Mon May 23, 2011, 01:44 PM

Fainted on plane

It was my own fault. I had eaten plenty and drank some liquids (probably not enough, though). I was fine for the first couple of hours, but after a while, I started to feel sick. At first, I thought I was nausious, but soon realized that I was going to pass out. I put my head between my legs, but soon found that wasn't going to work. I forgot about the attendant button to call an attendant to me. Duh. I got up to go to them and was able to make it before lights out for me. My poor heart was racing so fast. I feel so dumb. I didn't even think to have my cbc done before flying out for my niece's graduation, but my last counts weren't bad with my hemo being 10.9. I guess I've dropped quite a bit since then. I have my next appt. on Tuesday and will probably get a good "talking to" by my hemotologist. Luckily, I only passed out on my flight out. I was definitely scared to get back on the plane home, but prepared myself for it by getting an aisle seat in case I needed the attendant to help me. I also drank a LOT of water. I got a little dizzy and lightheaded, but no passing out. Yay!! So, note to the wise...get your dr. approval and cbc done before flying!! Don't be a dope like me! It was definitely a smack in the face that I'm sick again.

36 yr. old, dx SAA in Jan 1996, treated with ATG in Mar. 1996, off cyclosporine Sept. 1996, last blood transfusion in Aug. 1997, slow decline in counts again November 2010, AA and current count decline thought to be caused by lupus, currently taking 400mg Plaquinil
Old Fri May 27, 2011, 12:08 AM

Wow!! how low was your Rbc's?? Their has been a few times were I felt like I was going to pass out..
25 yrs old, Diagnosed with Pure Red Cell Aplasia in January 1999 At age 13, Monthly blood transfusions of Red blood cells Every 4 weeks, Takes Exjade 1750 MG. Started Horse ATG 6/20/11; Taking Cyclosporine 200MG twice a Day!
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 08:24 PM

Actually, my counts weren't as bad as expected. Yay! We're not sure what caused me to faint. I'm just thankful I'm still high enough to avoid transfusions.

36 yr. old, dx SAA in Jan 1996, treated with ATG in Mar. 1996, off cyclosporine Sept. 1996, last blood transfusion in Aug. 1997, slow decline in counts again November 2010, AA and current count decline thought to be caused by lupus, currently taking 400mg Plaquinil