Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 06:48 PM

acute GVHD

hello everybodey

i will be so fast this time cause i'm little worry , but the next time i will write my full story ......

my name is Michael, 26 years old
i was treated for ALL in year 2002 , but unfortunatly the relapse appear in juin 2006 , and the chemio and the medicament was gived to me , and my sister ,was 100% HLA identiacal , in december the 7th , i did my bone marrow transplantetion,and as always mucosites and hemoroyids ...... and today the +13 i was developed acute GVHD Stage 2 (moderate) : a skin rash not so much and liver disorders ( yellow eyes)
please if someone can help me or someone have experience or x patient anyone,can please post a reply, cause i see it's so early to appear GVHD in the 13th day post transplante and cause related donor with 100% HAL compatible and i'm 26 years old,the only one thing is that i'm male and my donor (sister) female .
and if acute GVHD it makes me more risky to develop chronic GVHD in the future??
i'm waiting your answers
thank u so much
take care
alaways yours Michael
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 12:53 AM
Administrator

About acute GVHD

Hello, Micho.

I have read that patients who get acute GVHD have about a 50% chance of developing chronic GVHD, which means that GVHD persists after day +100 and that with adult transplants about 30% to 35% of patients with matched related donors develop acute GVHD.

Since you seem to be facing GVHD issues so soon, it may indicate that your graft implanted more quickly than average, which is a sign of transplant success.

According to the National Marrow Donor Program, steroid treatment for acute GVHD produces satisfactory results in 50% to 75% of patients.

But those are general statistics, and may not reflect all of the latest treatments. How YOU are doing is more important than what past statistics can tell us.

There are some transplant patients in this forum, but you may find greater input on GVHD by joining the GVHD listserv.

Wishing you a speedy recovery,
Ruth Cuadra
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 12:48 PM

thank u dear Ruth

i wanna tell u something , that i knew u from google when i saw your story , from the second day of my relapse , and it gaves me lot of strenght and i can tell u that i memorised your story day bay day and when i searched more to know what heppend with u after the one year i saw this forums and here i am , thank u so much and god bless u

about my acute GVHD i'm getting well my skin is better and my liver is verry good no more jaunisse the doctors bigan to decrease steroids and Cortisone but it stills gvhd and that is the important thing i only hope that it stills acute and nothing after, even tought i'm related 100% hla identical

dear ruth i wanna ask u , do u still take drugs till this moments??like cyclosporineA or something other ?? and it's hard the chronic gvhd that u passed through ??

and if someone like me can plz send his posts

thank u so much
always yours michel
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Dear Michel,

Thank you for the kind words. There are many people who supported me when I was ill and I take great pleasure in encouraging others who are now on this transplant journey.

It's very good to hear that you are already doing better. I'm amazed that you feel up to being on the Internet and are able to post here. After my transplant, it was weeks before I had enough energy to sit and read my emails for more than 10 minutes!

I was very fortunate that my chronic GVHD issues were mostly resolved by Prograf, Cellcept, and prednisone in the one to two years after my transplant. Some of the gut problems weren't very pleasant but it was mostly through liver tests that my problems showed up. I have been off all drugs for a few years but still take 10mg of prednisone daily to keep my mouth GVHD in check. I do not find this dose bothersome at all.

I hope they treat you well in the hospital over the holidays.

Take care,
Ruth Cuadra
Old Mon Dec 25, 2006, 12:39 AM

My daughter developed acute GvH on day 9 before official engraftment even. It was skin to start with that was controlled with steroid cream. She developed gut GvH around day 35 or so that was finally resolved. She is now 13 months post BMT and off all meds except gas-x, prevacid and bactrim. They will probably discontinue those in April. She still gets a little GvH rash now and then but the steroid cream takes care of it still.

Good luck,
Suzanne
mom to Michelle, age 6, SAA 6-1-05, MUD BMT 11-11-05