Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Mon Mar 21, 2022, 12:00 PM

Symptoms cyclical

Good morning!

I was wondering if you could help me as I am struggling with my new primary doctor (a PA actually) whom I only saw once when asymptomatic (I have been very healthy in the past and didn?t need a primary for about 20 years)

Since October I have been having what I think are hemolysis/anemia symptoms every month like clockwork.
I did have about 5 days per month that I feel ok but I am starting to feel that I am not recovering as much as time goes on (I do not think it is a lack of iron as my periods are light and I eat a lot of good iron foods)

In October and November the symptoms were severe with drenching night sweats and I got really breathless at one point. These came on when it started to get cold outside and both events were after I had done some strenuous lifting and outdoor work. The breathlessness was really scary and lasted about four days. I continued to lose weight for about a month after that worst episode. After that episode I had blood work done on my own since I didn?t have a primary, I am a member of a health share program where we can order bloodwork (I was already feeling better by the time I got the bloodwork).

The results weren?t very conclusive i.e. Hematocrit was 37.4, Hemoglobin 12.2, MCHC 32.6, MCV 89.5, RBC 4.18, high platelets at 406, high CRP. Let me know if there are any other results that I should give you. From what I can tell, some of these numbers are considered abnormal for a female.

I didn?t have a primary yet but then got one after the test results. They disregarded test results but based on my described symptoms they tested me for TB and then breast cancer (had two lumps that were suspicious). These tests were all very distracting from the monthly symptoms I continued to have.

I have taken better care of myself after October and November episodes by staying warm and not doing heavy lifting. Getting rest, avoiding stress, etc
I still continue to have these less dramatic symptoms every month: Jaundiced eyes, dizziness, headache, metallic taste in my mouth, racing heart, muscle soreness, chills, some spots on arms and legs

Then my PA recently ordered a basic CBC and a B12 test. CBC was more normal than my last one but B12 was high at 1228 but she wasn?t concerned and now I can?t see her until late April.

Do I just go in to urgent care when my symptoms peak?

I did have a tick bite 4 years ago (I read that Lyme?s could cause anemia to show up). I have never been tested and don?t have any symptoms apart from anemia symptoms.

My other option is to wait until May when I might get in to see a functional medicine doctor.

Please let me know if these symptoms or the cyclical nature resonate with any of your experiences. Is a CBC sufficient to help diagnose my condition? I appreciate any insight you might have! Thank you
Old Mon Mar 21, 2022, 12:40 PM

Hi Cate,
The first thing I thought of was Lyme Disease - and that was before you mentioned the tick bite. Symptoms are cyclical as the critters die off then reproduce. It can show a myriad of symptoms. The tests are not accurate unless you happen to be tested at the right time during the cycle. I have had it 3 times but I was fortunate to have a doctor that treated me based on symptoms and one time on a known tick bite. I received 2 weeks of Doxycycline and that was all it took thankfully. Doctors are prone to dismiss tick diseases for some reason so if you decide to pursue that avenue be sure your doctor is open minded.
All the best, Sally
Old Mon Mar 21, 2022, 04:35 PM

Thank you, Sally,

The functional doctor used to work in a Lyme's disease clinic so it sounds like she will know just what tests to use, etc. Hopefully I will move up on the wait list before too long

Thank you for your reply! Cate