Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Alternative Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alternative Treatments Complementary and alternative medicine; natural and holistic approaches

Old Sun Oct 9, 2011, 03:21 AM

Pine apples and red skin from raw peanuts raise platelet levels

Has anyone heard about this or tried it? I hear it works and fast too. I have only been doing it for 24 hours so far.
Old Sun Oct 9, 2011, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterandlace View Post
Has anyone heard about this or tried it? I hear it works and fast too. I have only been doing it for 24 hours so far.
My platelets are super low right now (22) and my other blood counts are low but not as critical as the platelets. thinking if I can just raise those, the doctors will not try to make me go on chemotherapy again.
Old Sun Oct 9, 2011, 05:35 AM

Pineapple juice

Hi glitterandlace,
There are many patients who have tried fresh pineapple juice for low platelets. Some can have had a positive effect but as Ruth wrote 2007 pineapple juice contains bromelain that can increase bleeding.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...tural/895.html
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Sun Oct 9, 2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgitta-A View Post
Hi glitterandlace,
There are many patients who have tried fresh pineapple juice for low platelets. Some can have had a positive effect but as Ruth wrote 2007 pineapple juice contains bromelain that can increase bleeding.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...tural/895.html
Kind regards
Birgitta-A

Hi Bridgette. I have been doing this for 2 days now. I will keep people posted on my progress I get my blood drawn again in 2 days. So far I feel better and some of my cuts and bruises seem to be healing and my gums feel better. But what do you mean by bleeding? Bleeding from where? Should I watch out for anything? I am eating raw pine apple twice a day and raw peanuts with the shells twice a day. I am sure to eat the red skin over the peanut cause that is the helping part. I hope this will help me and others.

Last edited by glitterandlace : Sun Oct 9, 2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 06:10 AM

Pineapples

Hi Glitterandlace,
You know bromelain belong to the drugs that keep platelets from clumping which can cause an increased risk of bleeding. Other drugs with this effect are garlic and omega3.

When our platelets are low we can get small bleedings from the mouth and nose. Then we can bruise more easily and get petechia (small bleedings in the skin).
http://www.ehow.co.uk/facts_5016302_...bromelain.html

Hope your platelets will increase!
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 10:10 AM

I turned out to be allergic to peanuts...=-( Also the organic pine-apples were too expensive to buy every day. But I am trying that papaya leaf tea because it is dirt cheap. If anyone can afford to buy organic pineapples and juice them daily please let us know how it turns out!
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 01:05 AM

Hi glitterandlace,

Because of their thick skins, pineapples are considered safe when non-organic.
Old Wed Aug 1, 2012, 07:37 PM

Tea results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterandlace View Post
I turned out to be allergic to peanuts...=-( Also the organic pine-apples were too expensive to buy every day. But I am trying that papaya leaf tea because it is dirt cheap. If anyone can afford to buy organic pineapples and juice them daily please let us know how it turns out!

Hi. How has the papaya leaf tea worked out for your platelets? I recently got off cyclosporine and my platelets have dropped. I really do not want to go back on cyclosporine and am looking for alternatives to increase my platelets.

Thanks, Nadine
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 04:07 PM

papaya leaf tea didn't seem to work for me. I have held my platelets at a very low level for 7 months now with no transfusions,,, they are only 10-15 but I don;t care right now,,, as long as I don't need a transfusion, I can work on it from there. I have been eating pine-apples,,, don't know if they are helping or not. I also juice and make smoothies,,, and do not eat processed foods,,,ect.... I made an entire life style change. some lady I recently met told me that vit D3 helped her to raise her platelets. I have only been trying this for a week so far,,, but my platelets raised a little bit this week.
Old Fri Apr 19, 2013, 07:31 AM

Hi please give vitD3 a try.. I believe that in combination with raw food and juicing has helped make my platelets rise,, they were average of 10 for over one year with no platelet transfusions,,, the whole year I focused on my raw food diet,, and juiced. Also the last 6 months I have been taking 4,000 mg of vit D3 and 4 months into it my platelets rose. Some lady I met at the hospital told me vitD3 made her plateelts rise and I decided it can't hurt to try. well it seemed to work,,, god is good,, now need to work on RBC.... Please any one with MDS or AA who reads this supplement with vit D3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayitsmenadine View Post
Hi. How has the papaya leaf tea worked out for your platelets? I recently got off cyclosporine and my platelets have dropped. I really do not want to go back on cyclosporine and am looking for alternatives to increase my platelets.

Thanks, Nadine
Old Fri Apr 19, 2013, 12:16 PM

This is interesting....From what I am told 150k to 450k is the normal range for platelets. Mine was at 50,000 on 4/8. I remembered that in 2010 my bloods came back and I was d deficient. Then my dr. retired, his replacement took a blood test in 2011 and it too came back D deficient. A year later I changed drs and my bloods came back b12 deficient. on 4/10 I started taking d3 1k and b12 5 mg or 500 mcg. On 4/17 my hematologist said woa your platelets are near normal 1.3 or 130k its the highest reading he had on me. So, I told him I was taking d and b12 and why. Previous to that I asked my doc if he checked the b12 and d levels and he did check b12 but not D, B12 was in range... On Monday I get another blood test so we'll see. At 50k I felt like crap at 1.3 much better but I have no idea if its the vit. D, Coincidence or something else going on..At any rate I haven't had bleeding or bruising issues just yet regardless of platelet count. My Doc says he doesn't check D b/c he figures everyone in the north east is deficient
Old Fri Apr 19, 2013, 10:04 PM

Hello SBK007,

Congratulations on your Platelet rise! That is good news indeed. If you don't mind, could you please tell me what your dx'es was and how long have you been dealing with this issue?

Just wondering if D3 is something we might want to try.

Thanks