Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Sat May 10, 2008, 08:39 PM

Question Hemoglobin at 5.8 what damage could be done to the body?

My mom has had a hemoglobin for the past 7 weeks, she was in hospice care so no transfussions. My aunt took her from the nursing home and now they are trying to get her transfussions. I'm worried about what possable damage has been done to her because of the low counts.
Old Sun May 11, 2008, 05:25 AM

Low HGB

Hi Kathy,
As far as I understand we can manage without organ damage with a very low HGB if has developed slowly as your mothers anemia has. I tried to look at PubMed for the answer of the question "How low HGB is too low" but didn´t find any answer. The heart, the kidneys and the brain seem to be the first organs that can be damaged but hopefully your mother will manage OK after transfusions .
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Dx MDS 67 yo with a HGB of 70 and shortness of breath when climbing steep hills or long staircases as only symptom
Old Sun May 11, 2008, 09:59 AM

It depends on how she's feeling, how active she is, how strong her heart is, etc. John went around for quite a while with a HGB of 5.5 before he knew he had AA. He was working full time and maintaining his regular schedule. It was not until he got really bad headaches and couldn't catch his breath that he realized something was wrong.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.