Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > Bone Marrow Failure
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bone Marrow Failure Causes, treatment approaches, terminology, related diseases

Old Mon Jan 5, 2015, 09:02 PM

Reticulocyte Question

Hi,

I'm a newbie here I hope I am posting my question in the right place.

I had blood work today with normal WBC, RBC, platelets. My HB was slightly low at 118 and my reticulocyte count was 16 (normal range 25-90). Not sure what could be the cause of this? I have also been experiencing fatigue and low energy levels the past week and a half.

Some other oddities include an enlarged spleen (this was felt on examination by my hematologist, ultrasound is booked in a couple of weeks); I also have a small, hard lump on my thigh, appeared about two weeks ago... GP thinks it is an enlarged lymph node (u/s for this also in a couple of weeks).

I was diagnosed with Atypical Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome a couple of months ago but my blood results have all returned to normal since that episode aside from my Hb fluctuating a bit so I am not sure what is causing the low reticulocyte count.

Any ideas of what could be the issue? I'm concerned I could be developing another condition...
Old Tue Jan 6, 2015, 09:23 PM
Owner

Jess,

Your various symptoms point to red blood cell problems, but possible causes range from an infection to bone marrow issues. Atypical Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome, which can result from genetic problems, environmental problems, or a combination of both, is dangerous because of possible clots in the kidney, so it's good news if that was a false reading or somehow temporary.

I think you'll find that webmd.com has good explanations of diseases and symptoms that we laypeople can understand, but I suspect that you won't be able to pinpoint this on your own. The doctors will have to keep watching and testing you to come to a firm diagnosis.

Aplastic anemia is only one of the possibilities. If that turns out to be the case, these forums and the Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation have people and resources to help you.