Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > Bone Marrow Failure
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bone Marrow Failure Causes, treatment approaches, terminology, related diseases

Old Wed Feb 4, 2015, 09:12 PM

Lacking concrete diagnosis

Hi,
I am new to this forum. So glad to see this site! My history includes 5 yrs of femur pain, debilitating pain at night. Took 4 years seeing MDs to get somewhere. All along my WBCs were slightly low. I asked for a MRI of my femur and bingo. MRI showed patchy low T1 and high T2 marrow signal in diaphysis and metaphysis, both femurs. At the mid-diaphyseal level of femurs, curvilinear bright T2 and STIR signal in the intramedullary cavity. No lesions. Abnormal marrow signal possibly "red marrow conversion".

I went for a bone marrow biopsy. Showed low WBCs, hypercellularity, and fibrosis. They thought myelofibrosis, however, I do not have any issues with my Hct/Hbg, although have had repeated issues with low ferritin and take iron, and oddly enough in the past year after starting a vitamin program, my WBC's after four years of being low, have been perfect. Because my spleen and liver are not enlarged, I am told it is not MF by one MD and another says it is.

My main issue is the darn leg pain. Is there anything anyone can think of that might cause this as the myelofibrosis is not confirmed. I have started having this same type of leg pain now in my pelvis. We just did another MRI and sure enough, my MRI came back abnormal with "red marrow conversion" listed as likely.

Any thoughts? I am so frustrated. I am exhausted all the time and just want answers. Once I know what I am dealing with, I can move forward.

Last edited by LeslieLulu : Thu Feb 5, 2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old Fri Feb 6, 2015, 12:11 PM

I'm new too. I'm watching and waiting. I don't have the experience to tell you anything, but wanted to just let you know you will be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you get answers soon.
Old Mon Mar 16, 2015, 01:45 PM

How interesting

Hello there. No, I have no clue to what it is you describe. What interested me is that with all the time I have spent trying to learn medical terminology and definitions, you posted some things I knew nothing of, until I looked it up.

The level of informed commentary I happen to find herein has impressed me. So.... Could I help?

One thing I do know (who knows, maybe it could help) is that GCS-F (generic Filgrastim, brand name Nupogen) injection, which is used to boost neutrophil production, often causes "bone pain", which is said to be due to marrow volume expansion and/or contraction. The pain seems to pulse with heart beats. So, maybe your pain indicates marrow volume change? Therein may be a clue.
Old Thu May 21, 2015, 03:34 PM

No definitive diagnosis

New to this forum as well. My symptoms do not fit anything in the text books but is somewhere in between MDS and AA so am being treated with Revlimid after nine months of cyclosporine showed not improvement. Have been on 5mg of Rev for one week so does anyone have any idea how long it takes for this med to kick in? Have fever everyday in late afternoon, take Tylenol and fever subsides.
Old Thu May 21, 2015, 07:40 PM

Hi Peggy - it might be better to start a new thread as your post seems like a new topic and a new thread headed up "bone pain" or similar might grab more people's attention.

All the best to you and to you too LeslieLulu as you seek solutions. We are all sympathetic and listening on this forum even if we can't always help.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Thu May 21, 2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggye View Post
New to this forum as well. My symptoms do not fit anything in the text books but is somewhere in between MDS and AA so am being treated with Revlimid after nine months of cyclosporine showed not improvement. Have been on 5mg of Rev for one week so does anyone have any idea how long it takes for this med to kick in? Have fever everyday in late afternoon, take Tylenol and fever subsides.
"somewhere in between MDS and AA" In what way?
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/