Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 09:17 PM

hello, new here

Hello forum people! My name is Anthony. I been having some consistent low wbc's and platelets. I am not looking for a diagnosis via the internet ( I am not one of those types) I just want to learn and am interested in many health topics and diseases and since I have had blood count problems, I thought it would be fun to get on a forum and actually talk to people about it. I just got out of the hospital two days ago and was in there for 4 days. Had low blood levels the whole time, thing is, I was there for my heart acting up (I have a pacemaker) plus my blood sugar (hypoglycemic) so when I asked about the blood, they pretty much said it wasn't important at this time and wanted me to see my dr. about it or a hematologist so the appt was set for early may. Anyway, My symptoms are extreme fatigue, shortness of breath especially during and activity, with heart palpitations (to which the dr. says is fine in itself) dizziness and lightheaded when I stand at times, and cold hands and feet. I promise I did not read those off a symptom site like a lot of people do. This has been happening for a while now.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 09:46 PM
Owner

Hi Anthony.

Since you know that your white count and platelets are low, you had your blood counts measured. Those lab test results included your red blood cell count and hemoglobin levels. Do you know what the results were? Your symptoms match those of anemia, so checking your blood counts is the very first step to take.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 10:07 PM

I know for sure that my wbc was just over 2.0 and at the lab tested, 4.5 and up is normal. (not sure of the high normal). Not sure what my platelets were, but the dr said they have been going down slightly every time they have been tested. I believe that was all that was abnormal. At least as far as I know. The er doctor said it would be a good idea to get my bone marrow tested, but since I was there for heart related issues, they didn't end up looking at the other things that was wrong. So they are sending my test results to my doctor, whom already was concerned about my blood levels before. I have always had normal blood values all my life and even though while in the hospital I heard some people have lower levels, I never did, so I know this is not normal for me. I have had symptoms ever since the time my platelets and wbc's have been running low.
I have had an extremely high amount of scans, x-rays, and ct's and so forth. I have quite a few health problems, so I was kind of thinking that may have something to do with it.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 12:35 PM
Owner

A number of health problems can interfere with blood counts, including the diseases that these forums focus on. Despite all the tests you've had, you're probably in for more of them given your undiagnosed symptoms.