Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 05:57 PM

Transplant time

Well, someone's got to be first, so I guess it's me.

They heard back from my donor, and he's agreed to donate. So, we're on our way to kicking this @#$% MDS out of my body forever. Glory!

Dennis
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 07:45 PM
Owner

That's incredible news, Dennis! As someone who shares your profession (computer programmer), I wish you the best of luck.

Is this a matched unrelated anonymous donor? How long were you hunting for a donor? Was he found through the National Marrow Donor Program? How good a match?

When they found my wife's donor, all we knew was that she was female, that she was in the U.S., and her age. Do you know anything about your donor?

Has the transplant been scheduled?
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 01:07 AM

Smile Great news!

Congratulations and I hope the journey is easy and successful.
Steve Kessler,Age 71, Dx 3/2001, Currently AML converted from MDS, 5q-, 11q23, Negative response to Aranesp, Revlimid. Partial response to Vidaza in the past. On a study using ON1910.NA, counts too low to go to Stanford on schedule.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 10:22 AM

Finding the donor

Finding the donor wasn't easy. I have an odd pair-up between the A & B markers that they think may have occurred in the womb (guess mom rode too many roller costers) so the best they could find was a 9/10 with a full antigen mismatch at A. Should be interesting. Took about 4-5 months on the NMDP list to find him.

If it's the one I think, all I know now is it is a gentleman in his 30's in the U.S. I do not know if he met my personal requirement -- a full head of hair.

But then, at this point, I think I'd take a well tamed chimpanzee.

Tentative schedule has me reporting for lockup on August 28, a week of prep and conditioning, and cells on Labor day or so? I can't even go out of town on my holiday. Sheesh!

D
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 12:36 AM

Dennis, I just wanted to say that I like your style - you have a great sense of humor about it all. Good luck with the transplant - that kind of thinking will get you through the tough days ahead I'm sure. My daughter has AA & has no donor . By the way where are you going for your transplant ? Keep us updated if you can.
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 06:47 PM

City of Hope

I'm having my transplant at City of Hope Samaritan. It's a "branch office" of the California City of Hope located in Phoenix, Arizona.

D
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 07:11 PM

Anne

Dennis, I'm new to Marrowforums (dx AA June 2006), and so glad I found this community. Best wishes from another computer programmer -- sounds like your research-and-analysis skills have been a big help!

Good luck.

Anne
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 09:06 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
I'm having my transplant at City of Hope Samaritan. It's a "branch office" of the California City of Hope located in Phoenix, Arizona.
Then you are in good hands. The care my wife got at the City of Hope in Duarte, California was top notch. Not only did the doctors consult each other to make sure each patient got the best care, but the whole staff there seemed to work as one team on our behalf, everyone from receptionists to pharmacists to lab techs to nurses and doctors.

Will you be able to have a family member or other caregiver with you at the hospital? If it can be arranged, I think it is very helpful to have somebody there who can keep an eye on your progress, talk to the doctors if they stop by while you are asleep, ask the nurse for favors (like getting you a popsicle), be your link to the outside world, and just talk/listen to you.
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 08:55 PM

Dennis to Transplant

I'm trying to catch you on a list, or in a forum. Keep thinking positively. Just roll right on over all those speed bumps that are put in your highway. I know it's difficult to keep your spirits up, but that is what you need to do. You have boosted my spirits many times during my journey, and we're not finished yet, so keep moving forward. Loretta (aka. Letty)
progressed to AML 11/28/06
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 11:59 PM

My wife is planning on being the caregiver. never thought of making her fetch popsicles for me. There may be some fun to be had here yet.

D
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 03:35 PM

Dennis,
I do enjoy reading your posts here and on the other MDS Forum.

I pray and wish the best for you during your transplant and recovery. Hopefully you'll keep us posted as soon as you are able. God Bless!

-cheryl
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 06:11 PM

i don't know you denis as i'm completely new here but... just wanted to wish you all the best for your transplant. i too like your attitude - when you get bored, give everyone a tough time. according to my son, it's the best form of entertainment whilst isolated

i sincerely hope you don't encounter too many bumps in the road to recovery. looking forward to hearing good news on your return

gina xx
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 09:10 PM
Marrowforums.org

Unfortunately, Dennis did not survive his transplant. We offer our condolences to his family.

This thread has some details about the transplant.