Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Alternative Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alternative Treatments Complementary and alternative medicine; natural and holistic approaches

Old Sat Jun 21, 2008, 03:10 PM

Question Probiotics and neutropenia

Does anyone have any info on taking probiotic supplements when neutropenic?

Wendy/mom to Grant
age 16 1/2
dx 12/4/98 AA
Old Sun Jun 22, 2008, 06:06 AM

Thumbs up Probiotics and neutropenia

Hi Wendy,
Here is a link about how probiotics can help patients with neutropenia:
http://tinyurl.com/6n3faj
I drink two kinds of probiotics every day to keep undisirable infectious agents away from my stomac . They taste very good. The first one contains Lactobacillus casei F19, Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium lactis. The second one contains Lactobacillus plantarum 299v.

I have not had any infections since I had neutropenic fever (neutrophils 0.1) Sept 2007 but I take 2 Neupogen injections/week and I avoid everything that can give me infections like people, that may be ill, food that isn´t recently boiled and air, that can contain fungi from dust, flowers, animals and so on.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 12:30 AM

Thanks Birgitta,

Grant has been taking a refrigerated probiotic capsule for about 6 months with no problems, even when he has been neutropenic.
I just sort of freaked myself out recently when I realized that it may not have been a good idea. I guess ignorance is bliss. I did tell his doctors he was taking it, but it was just one item in a list of other herbs and stuff and I wonder if they even noticed.
It is on my list of questions for this week when I talk to his doctors.
The one he takes also contains a PRE-biotic in addition to 6 strains of probiotics. All of the probiotics are in the lactobacillus or bifidobacterium family.

Wendy/mom to Grant
dx 12/4/98 AA
Old Sun Jul 20, 2008, 02:22 PM

Dear Birgitta

Are the drinks you mentioned something you can find in commerts or in a natural plants store? Do you mind sharing the nameof the products

Tks a lot
Old Sun May 27, 2012, 05:13 AM

Hi.....
I was recently fermenting my own vegetables and noticed it had a negative effect on my platelets. I would stick to the supplements or cultured products if i were you. =-) I also juice like crazy and eat tons of raw fruits and veggies. Last time I was sick with AA and they told me to avoid those things... This time when i relasped, I am consuming them and haven't been sick in so longgggg...... I haven't been sick in 8 months. I believe the raw fruits and veggies are helping me... I only eat organic. I believe the super bugs on the non organic fruits and veggies are worse on the non organic fruits and veggies because of the "types" of pesticides they use, the bugs have built up resistance. The organic raw fruits and veggies have worked out fine for me, I eat them all day every day and have for 1 year already. I also use a refrigerated probiotic too. I am always scared that my body won't absorb the nutrients if I forget to take it that day... I also blend my food and juice to give my digestive system extra "help" with digesting. Try to buy a probiotic with as many strands in it as you can find (preferably in the billions) and buy a refrigerated one, so you are SURE that the strains are still alive when they enter your body.

Last edited by glitterandlace : Fri Oct 19, 2012 at 04:33 AM.