Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Sat Jun 30, 2007, 10:42 AM

vidaza and itching

Had my first treatment of vidaza 06/25 thru 06/29. five days for 1 hour a day through my picc line. approved procedure as of 01/07. I always had somewhat of an itching since I was diagnosed with MDS. Since the vidaza treatment my itching is much worse, all over the body. I don't have to scratch the itch, but just rub it to relieve it for a moment. Tried anti-itch creams and antihistmens with no results. Looking for some help before I wear out my skin. My counts have not been bad, except for platelets, but will need a transfusion next week.
Len
Old Wed Jul 4, 2007, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Help for itching

Hi, Len.

Welcome to Marrowforums. Sorry you are having to deal with itching. I'm not aware of itching as a symptom of MDS but it's certainly true that everyone experiences this strange disease diffferently. However, itching is a known side effect of Vidaza. If creams and antihistamines aren't helping, you might want to try some of the standard treatments for itching like applying cold washclothes to the worst areas, taking cool rather than hot showers, and trying not to get overheated in the sun or from any activity. Oatmeal baths (Aveeno makes a good commercial product) can also help. Use as little soap as possible and keep your skin moisturized.

Is it possible that you are reacting to some medication other than Vidaza?

Hope this helps.

Ruth Cuadra
Old Wed Jul 4, 2007, 09:42 PM

Vidaza and itching

Hey Len,

My mother is on her fifth cycle of Vidaza. It has really helped a lot. She has tolerated it pretty well, with the exception of the itching. I actually found your post by googling "Vidaza and itching". She is also getting it through a picc line, though she was getting it injected into her stomach. Her itching is mostly concentrated at the former injection sites. She has also tried a variety of creams and antihistimines. The itching seems to be worse now than on her last cycle. She will only be getting 5 treatments through the picc line whereas she was getting 7 injections. We are guessing that maybe receiving the med through the picc line (at greater dosage) rather than through the injections may be the cause for the worsening of the itching. At any rate, she's going in tomorrow so we'll ask if this may be the case. She will probably be getting her picc line removed shortly and will be going back to the injections. She hasn't had a transfusion since February. I'll post if she finds anything that helps with the itching. Patrick