Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Alternative Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alternative Treatments Complementary and alternative medicine; natural and holistic approaches

Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 06:25 AM

Non Hard Contact Exercises Suitable for People with AA

As a parent of a 17 year old son (at time of diagnosis) who had AA I was concerned and worried about him indulging in active sports and games. As a result, it is often the case that parents would try to shelter their children from being involved in contact sports. In my son's case, it was a gradual and unnoticeable transition, and he was able to resume tennis and squash quite naturally as he recovered from his episode of AA.

I was not aware at that time that there was available some simple chinese "breathing exercises" or qigong that was reported to be useful in asssisting improvements in health, and especially in cancer patients ( including blood disorders ).

I feel that it is always good to have some form of exercise, and for those who are interested to find out more, here is a link I recently discovered on a research report by two researchers from the Dept. of Medicine and Dentistry of the University of New Jersey entitled A Review of Qiqong Therapy for Cancer Treatment. Concerned parents might want to check out qigong as a form of exercise and see whether it is suitable for their children with AA.

Peter Lim
Peter Lim, Dad to Stan, age 17 at time of dx Feb 2002VSAA; tx. ATG, cyclosporine, predisone; alternative herbal supplm & shark liver oil, off all meds 5/2002 normal blood counts. Only on shark liver oil.
Old Mon Aug 18, 2008, 04:16 PM

Question on shark liver oil

Peter
Can you tell me more about what type of supplements you used and why shark liver oil?
Marilin
(Mother of 7 year old diagnosed with AA back in May /07, treated with ATG and cyclo..doing very well. Also, 9 year old son may have it..we are still doing tests.)
Old Sun Sep 21, 2008, 10:17 PM

Hi Marilinw14,

We used Blood Well and Blood Tonic from http://www.getwellnatural.com which were recommended by the master herbalist and qualified MD. The shark liver oil was also under his recommendation and was purchased from the local health store.

The reasons for using shark liver oil includes the fact that shark liver oil has the ackgylcerols that help in bone marrow production. It contains squalene as well which is used in treatment in reducing side effects of chemotherapy and helps in a host of other illness. You can read about such use in Toronto's children hospital. See http://www.isshogenki.com/research/index.html

Please always consult your treating doctor before you even consider using alternative treatments. We consider these herbs as supplements only and they provide nutritional support.

Hope this helps.

Peter Lim
Peter Lim, Dad to Stan, age 17 at time of dx Feb 2002VSAA; tx. ATG, cyclosporine, predisone; alternative herbal supplm & shark liver oil, off all meds 5/2002 normal blood counts. Only on shark liver oil.