Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Sat May 23, 2015, 04:10 PM

T-Lymphocyte Depletion for SCT

T-Lymphocyte Depletion is an option for stem cell transplant. With it there is a reduced risk of GVHD with an increased risk of rejection. Sounds like a bargain with the devil.

In my case I did not have T-Lymphocyte Depletion. At almost a year there is no signs of relapse. I did have a serious bout of GVHD.

I am curious of those here who underwent a SCT what their experiences on this matter is?

Thanks

Ray
Old Sat May 23, 2015, 05:03 PM

Hi - good timing to your post. I'm planning on a stem cell transplant with T-Cell depletion. There is a technique that physically separates the T-Cells - and another that uses Compath in he conditioning regimen that essentially does the same thing. I'm trying to figure out which way to go.

My understanding is the T-Cell depletion has a much lower incidence of GVHD - I think there had been problems with grafting but I don't think so much any more. There were some reports of greater relapse rates, but no difference in overall survival. Not sure if the relapse rates are still different, especially in MDS.

Do you still have GVHD or did it clear up?

I'll let you know how it goes for me.

Best,
Paul
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015
Old Sun May 24, 2015, 11:26 AM

Reports that I have seen say overall survival rates are the same. You get to pick the poison. I still have some minor symptoms that may be either GVHD or reactions to medications. I should be off the remaining medications within a month. My doctor says mild GVHD is good because it fights the leukemia cells. GVHD is usually not a problem after year 2 or 3. So I only have another year or so to go.

I wish you good results with your transplant.

Ray
Old Sun May 24, 2015, 05:12 PM

Hi Ray,
I hope you continue to do well and the GVHD goes away like it should. Lets get together for coffee in five years and compare notes

Meanwhile i'll keep you posted.

Surprised nobody out there has had a T Cell depleted transplant?

All the best, Paul
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015
Old Wed May 27, 2015, 09:41 AM

T cell depleted transplant

My husband had a t cell depleted transplant. Absolutely no GVHD or any other complications. 8 months after transplant MDS turned into AML. After 2 rounds of chemo blasts never were low enough for a 2nd transplant. Ending up getting pneumonia and passing away at age 46. Doctors recommended the t cell depleted so we went with it. Not sure of the statistics of GVHD and relapse. Good luck in whatever you decide. Donna. (Wife of David-Whizbang)
Married, father of three daughters; now 46; diagnosed w/ Major form MDS 6/18/2013; had low counts across the board; Multiple chromosome abnormalities; Finished 2nd round Dacogen 9/13; SCT - Oct. 31, 2013; Sibling match 10/10 ; 5.5% blasts down to 3%, now 1% (post BMT)
Old Wed May 27, 2015, 11:08 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I appreciate you sharing the experience. Hope you and your family are doing OK.

Paul