Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Alternative Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alternative Treatments Complementary and alternative medicine; natural and holistic approaches

Old Mon May 12, 2008, 07:49 PM

MDS - Is there any alternative medicine to help?

Hello!

My husband is 44 and has MDS.
He's waiting to a bone marrow transplant.

Besides weakness he's feeling fine.

Platelets - 49
Hemoglobin - 9.1

He is not in any medicine and for we were told he won't until a bone marrow donor will be found (no siblings). If no one appears then he might begin paliative treatment.

I asked an acunpuncture therapeutic if the was good to my husband but he said no.

Can you help me with some other forms - any - hers, Reiki, anything.

Thank you very much!
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 09:25 AM

Alternative Treatment

Regarding alternative treatments, I ran across this site yesterday. I thought it was interesting. It is the only information of this type that I have ever found. http://aplasticcentral.com/aplastic_healing.htm I have no particular opinion about this information - just thought it interesting.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 07:49 AM

This is worth exploring....

This is a good post on the use of NAC (n-acetyl-cysteine) for MDS.

http://www.aplasticcentral.com/Holis...icine/Sean.htm
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 09:45 PM

Question Alternative medication

A friend of mine gave me an article today about Asparagus. It says that either fresh cooked, or canned will do. Puree it and take 4 tablespoons of it in the morning and in the evening. Refrigerate to keep left overs. It contains a good supply of a protein called 'Histones' which are believed to be active in controlling the health of cells. I am sure it contains a lot of good minerals and vitamins so it can't hurt you. I am on the downward slope of MDS and as my numbers get lower - I will try anything. After my visit to my Oncologist tomorrow - the store is my next stop. Hum - wonder if I should drain first.

Vernette in Capitola-by-the-Sea, CA
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 10:04 PM

This is totally antedoctal, but two things seem to help me (likely the same ingredients in both): Nappa (chinese cabbage). I crave it like crazy sometimes when I am low on energy, and the Natural Factors Vitamins I started taking. Maybe just coincidence with the nappa, but when I am down and eat it daily it boosts my energy. The vitamins have had a positive effect on my hemoglobin--it has gone up 2 grams since I started, and my energy level rose even before my hemoglobin did. Nappa is chock full of all kinds of vitamins you would not expect in a veggie--like calcium. Again just my story, I have no facts to back up the effect of these things on MDS. I have tried all kinds of things--chlorophyl, other herbs, b12--with no real effect, my current vitamins seem to be doing the trick consistently.

Zoe
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 05:38 PM

Talking

Wow - I will add the Cabbage to my Asparagus. B-12 shots have helped with my energy level a lot. They are only once a month so I fill in the the B-12 that melts under the tongue - and - agreed, Vitamins are a must. My kidney Doctor had me increase my Omega-3 as it does seem to help the kidney's. My age (older than dirt) is against me.

Vernette - MDS -Aranesp two or three times a month.
Old Thu Aug 27, 2009, 11:32 AM

Natural Factors Vitamins

Hi Zoe,
where do you purchase your Natural Factors Vitamins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe's Life View Post
This is totally antedoctal, but two things seem to help me (likely the same ingredients in both): Nappa (chinese cabbage). I crave it like crazy sometimes when I am low on energy, and the Natural Factors Vitamins I started taking. Maybe just coincidence with the nappa, but when I am down and eat it daily it boosts my energy. The vitamins have had a positive effect on my hemoglobin--it has gone up 2 grams since I started, and my energy level rose even before my hemoglobin did...
Old Thu Aug 27, 2009, 10:57 PM

KC,

I get them from www.iherb.com They seem to have the best prices. If you enter the code LON743 you will get $5 off your first order too.

Zoe