Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Sat Oct 15, 2011, 12:55 PM

Platelets during Vidaza treatment

Hi all,
Platelet doubling after the first azacitidine cycle is a promising predictor for response in myelodysplastic syndromes.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...069B0E6.d01t01
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Sat Oct 15, 2011, 11:37 PM

Question

Hello Birgitta,

What if they (platelets) double after the first cycle but half during the second cycle and then double again after the second? Can I expect this yo you through all the cycles and is this still a good sign?

thank you,
Donna
f68 MDS; abmt 1/12. ABO mismatch 11 mos. (70) transf. Ferr 3-5k. 8 phlebot. AGVHD to CGVHD. skin,eyes. lungs as of 10/13. muscle weakness &osteo long term steroids.photopheresis 2x wk as of 3-15.pred 20 eod,acyclovir, mepron, voriconazole, pantropazole, lisinopril, montelukast, anoro, azithromycin.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2011, 04:56 AM

Vidaza ans platelets

Hi Donna,
You know I have not read the whole article only the short abstract so I don't know more than you do. As far as I understand you will respond to Vidaza because of your early platelet response .
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 05:39 PM

Hi Donna...my husbands PLT doubled and more during the 3rd set of Vidaza they went up to 481...9 days after the 3rd set they started to even out ...he just started his 6th set and they are 266...

Thanks to all who have gone before us with the trials...
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 06:15 PM

Unhappy

I finished my 2nd round of Vidaza on 10/7/11 and they doubled to 30, but yesterday I was at Dana Farber for a 2nd opinion and they were down to 9. I see my oncologist on Monday, probably will need a transfusion before the 3rd round begins on 10/31/11. Thank God no bleeding gums right now.
f68 MDS; abmt 1/12. ABO mismatch 11 mos. (70) transf. Ferr 3-5k. 8 phlebot. AGVHD to CGVHD. skin,eyes. lungs as of 10/13. muscle weakness &osteo long term steroids.photopheresis 2x wk as of 3-15.pred 20 eod,acyclovir, mepron, voriconazole, pantropazole, lisinopril, montelukast, anoro, azithromycin.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 04:39 AM

Platelets

Hi Donna,
Too bad with the low platelets - as you know this adverse reaction is very common when you get Vidaza especially after the first cycles. Good that you are getting the best possible supportive care. Hope your counts will increase after more Vidaza cycles!
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 09:07 AM

Thank you for reminding me Birgitta. It seems I am having a difficult time retaining what I am learning about this disease. Too much at once, and too emotional, I guess.
I really appreciate your knowledge and support, & everyone's on this website! Hope I can give back as I move forward.

Donna
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 09:29 PM

Keep in mind counts from different insitutions can vary, sometimes considerably. For example on 1/10 my plts were 118 at hospital "A." On 1/13 plts were 88 a the other hospital. There is no way my plts dropped 42 points in 3 days. Also Hgb 12.8 vs 11.6.

I'm on Soliris which prevents intravascular hemolyis and only get mild hemolysis (extravascular) when I have an infection and don't have one now. I'm not tx dependent and Hbg has been very stable on main hospital, second one. So I'm certain it's a methodology issue or one of them, (1st one a community hospital) is an artifact-error.

Suz