Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > Bone Marrow Failure
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bone Marrow Failure Causes, treatment approaches, terminology, related diseases

Old Sat Aug 9, 2008, 09:12 AM

Hi, I'm working through the various posts, but am not really sure as to what I should be researching. My doctor mentioned that my WBC has been low the past few times I've had blood draws...the latest is 3.4 and the range over the past year has been from 4.4 to 3.2. She said that if one of the blood counts is low she is not usually concerned but when two or three are low then she tends to want to check it out. My RBC is 4.1 and has ranged from a low of 4.03 to 4.22. Platelets are usually in the 239 range.

I believe she is concerned because I also have been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease stage 3. This fluctuates between stage 2 and 3.

She said that we'd take a "wait and see" approach and next time I have blood drawn which for her is in November, but with my nephrologist is the end of this month, that she may refer me to another physician for a closer examination of my blood.

She didn't explain what she had in mind or what the other doctor might want to do.

Since I had so many other things going on at the visit I didn't pursue it, but after returning home and thinking about what took place I'm wondering what I should have asked.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
jrz
Old Sat Aug 9, 2008, 11:47 AM

JRZ,

If you are on any medications, look into those. www.rxlist.com will give you good info on your meds. I would also google low WBC and the drug's name.

I would also check with other forums regarding kidney disease to see if anyone else with kidney disease experiences low WBC.

Marlene
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Sat Aug 9, 2008, 02:41 PM

Thanks for info

Marlene,
I appreciate your advice. I will check out the Rx list. I never thought to ask at the kidney sites whether folks are having wbc issues, though in my research I know that kidney disease can affect blood, urine and bone and since bone marrow is key in all of these I guess I have some testing and meds in my future.

Thank you again.