Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transfusions and Iron Overload
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transfusions and Iron Overload Blood and platelet transfusions, iron testing and treatments

Old Sun Aug 20, 2017, 04:13 AM

Blood transfusion antibodies

Hello, I am hoping someone can answer a question for me. About 7 years ago I required numerous blood transfusions and I developed 8 different antibodies. I had about 7 years not needing transfusions (only the odd one here and there) but I'm now transfusion dependant again. I no longer have any antibodies. I'm confused that the antibodies can disappear but also relieved.

I was wondering if the loss of antibodies means that I have a immune system problem and that also means that I may not create (or have lost) antibodies in response to my vaccinations. Perhaps I'm not as protected against the flu etc that I thought I was.

My current neut count is 0.7 and my carer has the flu (she refused to get the flu injection) so I'm in close contact because I have to tend to her.

Thank you.

Carol
Old Sun Aug 27, 2017, 01:38 PM

Hi Carol,

I have wondered about this myself, as I have received many transfusions in the past. When I asked my doctor about this, they thought the antibodies would decrease over time, but they weren't entirely sure. Maybe that is why you must get a new flu shot every year, even if it is for the same strain.

Let us know what you hear on this topic!

Hope you are doing well.