Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 01:24 PM

Mom's Vidaza Failed

Hello All....
I am new to this forum and I hope I am posting my concerns in the right place!
Forgive me if I am not.

My mom (72 years old) was diagnosed with MDS (RAEB) with 20% blasts and very low rbc, wbc and platelets about 6 months ago. Since then, she has had six vidaza treatments with Procrit injections. To date her blood counts are very close to the normal and she feels really good. However, her recent bone marrow biopsy showed that the blasts are still pretty close to 20%. The doctor can't really give us a definite answer as to why the blood levels are up but the blast count hasn't changed much. It was so discouraging to get the biopsy results back since mom has been feeling so good...we thought for sure the blast count was down. Has anyone ever experienced this?
The next step is for my mom to go into the hospital next week for a seven day heavy duty chemo treatment each day. These treatments will wipe out her immune system which will keep her in the hospital for a minimum of about 2 weeks. The doctors are hoping that she will go into remission and be a candidate for a stem cell transplant.
Is this scenario familiar to anyone? What if she is not put into remission? Does anyone know what will happen next? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
smm
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 03:40 PM

Vidaza

Hi Smm,
Your mother has responded to Vidaza concerning the counts but not the blast cells. I don't think that is common and don't know how this could happen.

The general rule is that if Vidaza fails the patient should try to get a Stem Cell Transplantation if it is possible. Your mother is probably healthy except for MDS otherwise they should not discuss a SCT.

Before a SCT the patient will have chemo treatment so all MDS cells will disappear from the bone marrow. Perhaps your mother will have reduced doses of chemo since she is 72 yo.

Good that your mother feels much better after Vidaza treatment - a SCT is a difficult process. You can get info from the Home page of this forum.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
73 yo, dx MDS Interm-1 2006, positive results with Thalidomide + Prednisone.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 03:56 PM

Thanks Birgitta-A for the response. I know...it seems to be unusual! She is in very good health except for the MDS. So, she is having a mini transplant.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2012, 04:20 AM

Vidaza

Hi Smm,
Your mother seems to get the best possible care - we all hope that she will manage the treatment and have a positive result after the SCT like many members of this forum.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A