Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 02:39 AM

Tattoos and Aplastic Anemia survivor?

Hello members. I would like to know your thoughts on getting a tattoo after being diagnose with aplastic anemia. I haven't talked to my Doctor about this and will do so once I meet up for my appointments on February 2014. Its been 4 years since I was diagnose of AA, and have thought of getting a tattoo pertaining this life changing event. Any medical staff here that might help with this question or any one else? This is just a thought, of course health comes first.
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 10:02 AM

Yes, do speak to your doctor. I would think that as long as your counts are normal and are off all meds, it may be OK as long as they are super careful and very very sanitary. To me, it just seems like there's a lot of opportunity for infection and would not take the chance. And then there's the issue around the what's in the inks.

If your doc says, OK, ask him if a tetanus booster vaccine is needed prior to getting it done.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 01:45 PM

What kind of Tattoo?
after you clear it with your doctor. When you go to have the tattoo tell the tattooist what you had and see what they say but ask your doctor before doing anything. I think different states regulate tattoo laws. Maybe you can call the tattooist before hand and save yourself a trip. But clear it with your doctor first.
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk007 View Post
What kind of Tattoo?
after you clear it with your doctor. When you go to have the tattoo tell the tattooist what you had and see what they say but ask your doctor before doing anything. I think different states regulate tattoo laws. Maybe you can call the tattooist before hand and save yourself a trip. But clear it with your doctor first.
I'll bet a tattooist has ever heard of AA. Most of us hadn't.
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 08:05 AM

Funny how things present themselves

This showed up in my email this morning regarding the ink in tattoos so I thought I'd share it. It's regarding the potential for toxic ink, especially black.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar..._rid=342955136
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 01:54 PM

Smile

Thanks all for the feed back. I guess I have to settle for those fake/temporary tattoos haha. But seriously yes, I'm aware of all the health risk involved with getting a tattoo. Once I meet up with my Doc, I will come back and let you guys know what he thinks/says.
Old Sun Aug 31, 2014, 06:56 PM

I've been cured with aa for 5 years and I've had 12 tattoos and never had a infection it just depends how clean you keep it and if you use the right cream to keep away infections! You should be fine I had my first on after transplant a year later and I was fine! And I was still on medication!
Old Mon Sep 1, 2014, 02:47 AM

don't take the risk is it really worth it for skin art all it takes is one bad infection which happens to a certain percentage of people regardless.
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_210 View Post
Hello members. I would like to know your thoughts on getting a tattoo after being diagnose with aplastic anemia. I haven't talked to my Doctor about this and will do so once I meet up for my appointments on February 2014. Its been 4 years since I was diagnose of AA, and have thought of getting a tattoo pertaining this life changing event. Any medical staff here that might help with this question or any one else? This is just a thought, of course health comes first.
What did your doctor say i want to ask my doctor that same question for me its been 7 years since I was diagnosed