Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Sat Feb 20, 2010, 03:32 PM

Blood transfusions in the home?

Does anyone know if red blood and platelet infusions can be given in the home? The American Cancer Society website claims it IS done for critically ill cancer patients. What about critically ill MDS patients too weak to make it to the infusion center? Thanks.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2010, 06:18 PM

hi, I've never heard of it but it sounds good. I think that if you are dying and the risk of a transfusion reaction is outweighed by the patients comfort then it'd be a good idea. I don't think they would do it for anyone where the risk outweighs the benefits.

Hope i'm wrong.

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 08:17 PM
Owner

Jenny,

We've had home health services when they were ordered by my wife's doctor, so home healthcare isn't just for hospice patients, but my wife never received blood or platelet transfusions at home. It wouldn't hurt to ask the doctor and the treatment center whether home transfusions are available. You should also check that it would be covered by insurance.

I assume that you are asking about this for your mom. You were talking here about whether or not she'd get another port. If she has a port again be sure to mention that when you ask about home transfusions.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 07:56 AM

I, too, had Home Care district nurses come and administer IV drips for me for several months, but there were certain things they weren't trained to do, like inserting cannulas, and all blood tests had to be taken at the hospital, as the samples need to be submitted to the lab in a timely manner. I know whenever I've had transfusions as an outpatient, the blood comes from the blood bank just before its given, so I'd think that the logistics of transporting it into someone's home within that time frame would be very expensive!

(I'm happy to say I'm returning the supplies to the District Nurses tomorrow!)
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)