Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Sun Oct 21, 2012, 02:51 PM

What is the "normal" response time to cyclosporine

Is anyone able to provide a general indication as to how quickly people "normally" respond to cyclosporine.

I started taking cyclosporine on Friday evening 19 October and my WBC on Saturday had increased from 3 on Friday to 3.96 on Saturday (about 22 hours into taking cyclosporine). My PLTs had also increased from 31 to 35.

I do understand that some machines provide different numbers so perhaps no real change.

RBC has shown no change.

My neut% has dropped from 20% to 13.9% and my lymph% has increased to 81.3%
Old Sun Oct 21, 2012, 03:12 PM

Tashmac;
There is no real 'response time' for any medication. Each person differs on how they react to any type of drug. I know from reading the forum that some people react quickly, while others don't have any good results at all. I know what I am telling you sounds kind of 'same old story' type of thing, but also as a nurse - I can tell you that it is true. I wish you much luck.

Beth
Old Sun Oct 21, 2012, 06:20 PM

Cyclosporin

Tashmac

Cyclosporine is used to reduce the T cells ( part of the lymphocytes) so the marrow can respond. I think everyone responds differently to cyclosporine. I had no real response after ATG treatment and cyclosporine treatment for almost 4 months. My Drs have said this treatment is a marathon. To insure your cyclosporine level remains in a theraputic range make sure your trough levels of cyclosporine are measured whenever you have blood drawn.

Scott
Old Sat Oct 27, 2012, 04:17 PM

Don't expect to see an immediate response. Most people seem to require the combination of ATG and cyclosporine for best results, and that can take months before you see any improvement. In some instances, such as moderate AA or mild relapse, doctors may try cyclo alone, but I wouldn't expect it to act any faster. The amount of increase you describe in your Plts is within normal day-to-day fluctuation, and probably not statistically significant. Also, as you say, there can be some margin of error in readings. What you need to look at is the general trajectory over time. Hang in there, and settle in for the long haul.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 06:00 PM

Cyclosporine

I was diagnosed with Hypocellular mds 3 years ago. I am a female, 76 y.ears old. At time my platelates were as low as 12. I had 2 blood transfusions and 2 platelet transfusions. Was put on 400 mgs. of Cyclosporine. Within 2 weeks my blood count went up. After 3 months Dr lowered Cyclosporine to 300 mgs Blood counts continued to go up. I am now on 100 mgs. of Cyclosporine, and counts have been in normal range for 2 years. I am slightly anemic, but all other counts in normal range. I am tempted to go off Cyclosporine, but both Dr. and I are afraid counts might fall again. So, being Cyclosdporine has worked so well, will not take a chance on going off.