Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 10:24 AM

I'm going in for BMT March 1st, 2014

Hi all, I am going in for my BMT March 1st. Back in Sept I was diagnosed with SAA. I went through the Horse ATG which hasn't changed my numbers. My younger brother is a 100% match. So we are going the BMT route. I'm lucky to have my brother! I feel like I am in great hands with my doctors which is another plus. I'm still just trying to wrap my head around all of this. If anyone has any advice or tips, please send them my way. Thank you!
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 12:51 PM

I too had a 100% sibling match from my younger brother at Memorial Sloan-Kettering (MSK) back on Halloween...

I'm not sure of your situation, but MSK did a T-cell depleted SCT for me, and there are a lot of benefits for a good situation such as mine (possibly yours)... Since transplant, I have only really been on 2 medications other than vitamins and supplements... Acyclovir (Antiviral) and Noxafil (Antifungal)...

Removing the T-cells mitigates the need for anti-rejection and immunosuppressant's, since your brothers T-cells can't attack you since they have been removed... It also lowers the chance of GVHD.... The drawbacks are: no Graft vs. Leukemia effect (GVL), and a slightly longer recovery...

I would ask RI if they have the ability to do the depletion...

Best of luck to you and God Bless...
Married, father of three daughters; now 46; diagnosed w/ Major form MDS 6/18/2013; had low counts across the board; Multiple chromosome abnormalities; Finished 2nd round Dacogen 9/13; SCT - Oct. 31, 2013; Sibling match 10/10 ; 5.5% blasts down to 3%, now 1% (post BMT)