Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Thu Oct 22, 2015, 02:27 AM

MDS - "Yellow" skin tone

I'm often dismayed to see how "yellow" my skin tone is at times. I know that MDS patients can be pale, but is this yellowish tone typical of MDS?

My last CBC which is fairly typical showed the following lows/highs: WBC 1.3, Neut 0.6, Lymph 0.4, Mono 0.4, RBC 3.34, Hgb 112, MCH 33.4, PLT 147. Nothing drastic there!

Except for globulins which sit around 21, my 4-weekly UEC/LFT results have been normal all year with average Bilirubin 17. My LDH average is 177.

Is there anything else that could be causing this yellow tone or is this normal for MDS patients? Are there other tests besides CBC, UEC and LDH which I should be requesting. I feel reasonably well most of the time.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2015, 08:44 AM

Do you by chance eat or juice a lot of carrots?
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2015, 09:59 AM

Ashy color

I notice that on my husband, but his is more ashy colored tinged with yellow. dr just said ashy- and said his eyes were not yellow, so they werent worried.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl C View Post
I'm often dismayed to see how "yellow" my skin tone is at times. I know that MDS patients can be pale, but is this yellowish tone typical of MDS?

My last CBC which is fairly typical showed the following lows/highs: WBC 1.3, Neut 0.6, Lymph 0.4, Mono 0.4, RBC 3.34, Hgb 112, MCH 33.4, PLT 147. Nothing drastic there!

Except for globulins which sit around 21, my 4-weekly UEC/LFT results have been normal all year with average Bilirubin 17. My LDH average is 177.

Is there anything else that could be causing this yellow tone or is this normal for MDS patients? Are there other tests besides CBC, UEC and LDH which I should be requesting. I feel reasonably well most of the time.

Do you mean a bilirubin of 1.7 or 17?
Daughter of father diagnosed with MDS RAEB-II intermediate risk due to normal cytogenetics. Blasts at 13% peripheral blood at diagnosis with no cytopenias. 6 cycles on Vidaza then on to SCT at Duke. BMT from my brother and now showing signs of relapse. DLI in the works.

Last edited by italianburrito : Thu Oct 22, 2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: re-read your post
Old Thu Oct 22, 2015, 03:39 PM

Iron overload can cause an ashen/grayish color in the skin.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2015, 10:49 PM

I am also ashen-gray with a tinge of yellow. Not the best look I probably should eat more carrots and don't have iron overload. I am not sure what the cause is...
Old Fri Oct 23, 2015, 04:33 AM

Thanks for contributing to this discussion.

1. No - don't eat a lot of carrots.
2. How would I know if I'm suffering from iron overload? I shouldn't be as I don't have transfusions of red blood - only infusions of gamma globulin which are plasma-based (clear)
3. The normal range for bilirubin on my blood results is 3-20 and mine is 17.
4. The whites of my eyes aren't yellow (that sounds odd!).

Maybe it's cancer colour, though I don't think of myself as having cancer as my blasts are in normal range. I've seen people with other types of cancer who look yellowish.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Fri Oct 23, 2015, 08:16 AM

Cheryl,

Iron: At some point, they probably tested your ferritin levels. If they are high, that usually indicates too much iron. If it's been a while, you could get them to test it again. Transfusions are not the only cause of iron overload. So find out what your ferritin is. It's always good to know the baseline level.

Anemia: The lack of red blood cell can change your skin's color. Especially if you have warm/yellow/olive undertones naturally then it would be more apparent with the lack of blood.

Nutritional: Insufficient B & C vitamins, magnesium and copper can affect skin color also.

Marlene
Old Sat Oct 24, 2015, 07:53 PM

Thanks Marlene. I'm freckly rather than olive complexioned, but on checking, my husband's base skin colour (inside wrist) is much pinker than mine so maybe I naturally have a yellower skin base, but I've never noticed my face looking yellowy until the last couple of years. I'll ask my GP if I can have copper, B12 and ferritin tested again as it's a long time since I had those done.
Old Tue Dec 8, 2015, 06:27 PM

I've been told the same thing - that I looked quite 'yellow'. I know this may sound funny but I feel it changes a lot, from pale to yellow/ashen to pink (and often in the same day!). It became really quite distressing for me and I think it impacted my interactions with people, becoming more shy, less social than I otherwise have been. (Liver tests and all that have been consistently normal).

But in the last year, it's become especially apparent to me as my Hgb has largely recovered in this time and a more 'normal' complexion has returned; people have been commenting on how 'much better' or 'well' I look and I can clearly see it -- not so yellow anymore.

I think it is an often under-appreciated sign of profound anemia; as I live and work in a busy large city, every day I am in crowds - on the train, the street, the bus - and I observe people's complexion more. From time-to-time, I will notice the same pallor in the faces of others and quietly hope they are getting their blood tested.