Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Mon Dec 30, 2013, 12:54 PM

Red sore spots underarms and on scalp

Started running a fever the other night and had some sore spots show up in armpits and scalp. Pretty sensitive to the touch. Ended up getting admitted and on multiple broad spectrum antibiotics for at least 2 days. They don't know what it is. Seeing a dermatologist today. Ran a fever all night last night. Not to high just about 101. Anyone have any clues to what this could be? And Headaches for the last 2 weeks
Male 56, MDS 2008, pre SCT Hypocellular 5-30%, Normal Cytogenetics. WBC 500, anc 45, Blasts 15%, Platelets 45, HGB 7, RBCC 1.71, HCT 20.5, MCV 120. Became Transfusion dependent 3/2016. 5 cycles VIdaza started 3/14/16 which reduced Blast counts. . Marrow Transplant 9/1/16, Hereditary MDS/AML.
Old Mon Dec 30, 2013, 01:29 PM

Same thing happened to me under the armpits when my ANC was 500 (.5)...

My hemo said it was boils, and also break out infections (mine were at the base of my hair folicals on my arm, not my scalp) ... He put me on antibitiocs (AB) 5 / day for 7 days.... Happened 3 weeks following my 1st round of Dacogen chemo, went away with the antibiotics, and as my ANC went back up to 800 (.8)... I never ran a fever though...

As WBC's and ANC go down to critical levels, the above tend to happen...

While I was in for transplant, I was on continuous AB's, but still had folicolitous on my thighs and temples...

Hopefully things get better for you...

Best Regards.
Married, father of three daughters; now 46; diagnosed w/ Major form MDS 6/18/2013; had low counts across the board; Multiple chromosome abnormalities; Finished 2nd round Dacogen 9/13; SCT - Oct. 31, 2013; Sibling match 10/10 ; 5.5% blasts down to 3%, now 1% (post BMT)
Old Wed Jan 1, 2014, 10:53 PM

New years day

Happy New Years to All.
Well this is my 4 day in the hospital for what appears folliculitis staph?

Day 1 Treatmenet AB's Vanocin and Zoysyn. Labs out, chest xray and urine.

Day 2 Temp and headaches continue. Went to Dermotology for biopsy and cultures of bumps.

Day 3, Apparently allergic now to penicillin, as body rash appears. Started at back, then chest, then down legs. Switch ab's to iv Meropenem and pill voriconazole for possible fungus. A few white pimples appear near neck later that day and more by eve.

Day 4 Early morning Temp hits 102 they say, I don't remember. More white pimples appears around eyes, face, neck, and back. I'm not looking so charming. Temp goes near normal by early today mostly. Cultures taken of white pimple stuff. Headaches continue. Original bumps less red and painful now, though they didn't appear to ever pimple up. One in nose is better and one in ear pretty painful.

Day 5 Temp is better, but more outbreak and original bumps getting better.

Day 6 Everything getting better, no temp, culture showing bacteria. They let me out!
Day 9 No fungus growth. So dumped the voriconazole and staying on cefadroxil for a few more days.
Day 10 Back to work.

Hopefully this gets resolved soon and info will help others.
Male 56, MDS 2008, pre SCT Hypocellular 5-30%, Normal Cytogenetics. WBC 500, anc 45, Blasts 15%, Platelets 45, HGB 7, RBCC 1.71, HCT 20.5, MCV 120. Became Transfusion dependent 3/2016. 5 cycles VIdaza started 3/14/16 which reduced Blast counts. . Marrow Transplant 9/1/16, Hereditary MDS/AML.

Last edited by kyis : Tue Jan 7, 2014 at 03:12 PM.