Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > Bone Marrow Failure
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bone Marrow Failure Causes, treatment approaches, terminology, related diseases

Old Thu May 31, 2018, 02:22 PM

Severe hypocellularity with normal PBC

Hello, I am new here. My recent BMB showed severe hypocellular bone marrow 5-8 percent, but normal peripheral blood counts. The symptoms that led me to have the BMB performed have resolved. I have a history of polycythemia Vera which you would expect hypercellularity. I am being treated with a targeted therapy drug, which Dr does not believe to be the cause. My additional labs ordered to r/o source have all came back negative. I have a great hematologist which is waiting and watching now for changes in peripheral blood counts. Has anyone else experienced this.
Thanks In Advance, Sue
Old Sat Jun 9, 2018, 12:22 PM

Hi silvers,

The bone marrow can be patchy - some sections with many cells and some with few. Perhaps that is what happened here??? If you are very concerned or your counts start dropping, request another BMB to see if the cellularity results are different.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2018, 12:39 AM

Hello Hopeful,
Thank you so much for your response.
A physician I work for made the same suggestion to me.
I wish you continued progress with your treatment plan.
Take care
Old Tue Sep 24, 2019, 07:02 PM

@silvers - I see this post is over a year old but hopefully you are on email notifications for replies and hence, will see this.

I've had 2 marrow biopsies with the first reporting 10% cellularity and the second reporting 5%. The former was done through Cedars Sinai network and the latter was done at NIH, so very reputable places. While my counts were low they are currently normal and hematologists cannot explain why I have healthy counts with only 5% marrow. Unlike you I do not have polycythemia vera but it sounds like we both have extremely low marrow without explanation.