Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 01:24 AM

Mom's First Cycle of Vidaza

Hello,

I hope to find peace and some rest by writing my story. My mom is 52 years old and was diagnosed with MDS this past May/11. The doctor finally put her in treatment and she started her first vidaza cycle yesterday. The first day was not too bad she had severe nausea and a couple of vomits. Today she had appetite and was able to have a normal routine day until we went to her Dr. to get the second round of her treatment. After we got home she started with severe vomits and a she lost her conscious for a couple of times. My brother and I had to pick her up from the bed in order for her not to chock in her own vomit. I am not sure if this are normal side effects and if its normal for her to be experiencing all of this symptoms. I will talk to the dr tomorrow about today's events. She finally went to sleep after throwing up about 10 times. Please take her in your prayers and any recommendations or tips will be welcome. I hate this feeling of hopelessness and not knowing what the outcome is expected to be. I just hope she gets better after her treatment.

Thanks for taking some time to read my post.

Erika
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 01:31 AM

Sorry for your mother's bad reactions to vidaza. Is she taking anti-nausea medication prior to treatment? What worked for me is 4mg of Zofran (ondansetron) 1 hour before my injections. The zofran is in pill form. I tried a different drug a couple of times because the Zofran is constipating but both times ended up vomiting. I went back to Zofran after that. They can be taken every 8 hours as needed. It's important to get the first dose in about an hour before the vidaza treatment.
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 02:35 AM

Smile

Hi Erika

I am sorry that your mom is experiencing such side effects. If she is not already taking it, try asking her nurse or doctor about the Zofran pill. Hopefully that will help your mom with the vomiting.

My dad as well is in his 50's and was diagnosed with MDS. He is currently on Vidaza and is having a wonderful response. It is scary and it has many low moments, but you need to keep faith. I am no expert whatsoever, but if you have any question, I will gladly answer anything I can from the information I have gathered so far. Stay strong for you mom and I'll definitely keep you and your mom in my prayers
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 09:54 AM

Erika,

I am currently on my 3rd round of Vidaza. The first day of the first round, I was given something by the nurse moments before my first shots. I went home and 2 hours later began vomiting that lasted over 100xs, through the night and next am. My sister told me her daughter used Zolfran through her pregnancy and I asked the dr. for that. His nurse informed him they offered, one that melts on the top of your tongue. Once I got that script, I have found the nausea nearly non existent. I do have constipation problems from the Zolfran, and fatigue and chills from the Vidaza, but Zolfran will definitely help with the nausea. Good luck to your mom!

Donna
f68 MDS; abmt 1/12. ABO mismatch 11 mos. (70) transf. Ferr 3-5k. 8 phlebot. AGVHD to CGVHD. skin,eyes. lungs as of 10/13. muscle weakness &osteo long term steroids.photopheresis 2x wk as of 3-15.pred 20 eod,acyclovir, mepron, voriconazole, pantropazole, lisinopril, montelukast, anoro, azithromycin.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 05:32 PM

Smile Thank you for your kind words and recommendations

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for all your kind words. I am grateful that I was able to come across this wondeful website and such wonderful people. We will keep strong. I told the Nurse today about the zophran and they will switch her to it today. Hopefully it works well for her as well. I hope you guys are doing well and will keep you in my preayers as well. I will keep you posted on how she reacts today after her shots.

Best wishes,

Erika