Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Sun Sep 23, 2012, 03:16 PM

Voice Changing? MDS

I am heading off to an appointment with my dad tomorrow for his 6 month blood check with his MDS doc and will ask the doc but thought I'd also ask here.
My dad's voice has changed over the past few months. It is almost like he is getting to the end of a typical cold and dealing with mucous, only he isn't.
He seems like he should be clearing his throat only he doesn't have anything to clear. If that makes sense?
He has noticed it and chalks it up to "drainage" only you can tell there isn't anything there to clear. Hard to describe but I am taking my best shot.
He doesn't have allergies and if clearing his throat due to drainage took care of the problem one might think he would be doing it and directly after doing so you would suspect the voice would return to normal if only for a little bit.
Talking to him on the phone is a challenge. It is quite difficult to understand what he is saying to due to the issue.
I have not come across anything in my MDS research but that isn't saying a lot. He doesn't take any meds for his MDS but takes other meds which he had been on for a decade for other issues (heart, cholesterol). I do know that one of his heart meds, perhaps a BP medication used to have him clearing his throat and this was a typical side effect of the med however what he is experiencing now and for the past 4+ months is different.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old Sun Sep 23, 2012, 07:06 PM

Hi Camiboxer,

My husband, Dean, sounds like he always has a sore throat, his voice has totally changed. He does have a constant dry cough, some days he does it more than other days.

I have never thought to ask a question about the voice. Thank you for doing it. Be interested in seeing what other people say.
Dean,age 76, dx MDS, RAEB-2, 17% blasts, June 2012 - May 2013 - Dacogen with Neupogen and transfusions as needed. End of May 2013 Dacogen stopped working. BMB July 2013 shows RAEB-2 and severe Myelofibrosis. Passed away September 30, 2013
Old Sun Sep 23, 2012, 10:55 PM

This is an interesting question. I have noticed considerably more issues with chest congestion than in the past, but I assumed that it was because I have ongenital COPD. I have never smoked and have always had a very slight bronchitis cough that would get better or worse according to the temperature or humidity, or even my diet. Kind of drives my wife crazy, but we at least had an explanation for it once I was diagnosed last year with the COPD.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 11:03 AM

Dad's appointment went well yesterday. Doc moved his twice yearly check-ups to only once per year. His numbers have pretty much stayed constant since 2006. He is monitored every 3 months by his family physician and of course if anything changes the new schedule will be revamped.
Talked about his voice issues and on the off chance that it is a bit of nasal drainage causing the issue he is going to try Claritin (or similar) for a bit to see if it is beneficial. If after a month or so and no change he will visit with his family doc and see about getting a referral to an ear, nose and throat doc. Could be a polyp or who knows. Will update when I have something to share.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 12:32 PM

Camiboxer....if you can get your Dad to use a Neti Pot...it seems odd at first but does work....
Old Sat Sep 29, 2012, 02:43 AM

Since I've had MDS, quite often my voice will suddenly fade. Like your Dad, I don't have congestion at all. However it's always worse when I feel tired.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 01:38 PM

Smile Voice changes in MDS

I had AA, now MDS and always when my blood is low or I am tired I develop husky very quiet voice and feel I have to clear my throat to talk. Of course with no white cell count I don't make mucus/phlegm so I know its not that but my family know what husky voice means and make me stop. Best wishes Berry