Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 11:16 AM

Hi Laura

I am glad that you are in better Spirits! Keep up the good work! Hugs,V
Vera, 56 yo female Dx RAEB II 10-08, 11-12% blasts. Normal chromosomes. Started Vidaza 10-08. . Improved Dx 3-09 MDS RA 2% blasts 8 cycles Vidaza! SCT transplant 7-1-09 at UCSF. Normal bone marrow and MDS free as of 10-09
Old Sun Sep 27, 2009, 09:07 PM

Smile BMB

Tomorrow at 11 is my 4TH bmb. I have days when I see no rash but I have to completely cover up in the car because even indirect light will pop it out. I feel good but the drugs really mess with my muscles still. I hope I get another reduction this week. Even with all the immune suppressant my counts are good.
WBC 6.2
RBC 3.64
Hemoglobin 12.3
Hemocrit 35.8
Platelets 109
neuts4.22
Lymphs (which they are really suppressing)1.51
Chemistry all good little bit elevated on bun and alt from all the drugs
CMV still neg
Love to all Vera
Vera, 56 yo female Dx RAEB II 10-08, 11-12% blasts. Normal chromosomes. Started Vidaza 10-08. . Improved Dx 3-09 MDS RA 2% blasts 8 cycles Vidaza! SCT transplant 7-1-09 at UCSF. Normal bone marrow and MDS free as of 10-09

Last edited by Vera W : Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 04:43 AM

90 days

Hi Vera,
Congratulation to the very impressive counts ! Too bad that light makes the rash pop out and that you have problems with your muscles - as you wrote these symptoms will hopefully disappear.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Sat Oct 3, 2009, 11:03 AM

day 93

Hi all,
my little nurse practitioner did my bmb and she is not much over 5 feet. She said i had really strong bones and she was sweating up a storm. She did not get enough bone so she went in twice...YUCK!! However they gave me ativan and a shot of Demerol but I still felt the first puncture with that pressure running down my leg and butt! I hate that part. They lowered my Prednisone another 10 mg. Rash is good, I still have muscle weakness and I move as much as I can.Still can't complain, I am feeling well. Next Friday is day 100!! My hair looks like twigs in a field and my finger nails are all coming off.
I got an E-mail from Heather. She has been back in the hospital for a month now with GVH but she has hopes of being released today. Please say a little prayer for her!
Old Tue Oct 6, 2009, 01:30 PM

Smile BMB Report

My bone marrow biopsy came back totally normal and I have no MDS. The chromosome report is not in yet but it was normal to begin with and I am still waiting on the % of donor cells report. I am getting my regular flu shot tomorrow with my local hematologist. we are not sure how much good it will do me but my whites are 7.7 and neuts 6 even with all the immune suppressants so I think my immune system just might a fighting machine! they cut the prednisone down to 30 mgs now from 100, I am very Happy!!!!
Old Tue Oct 6, 2009, 08:36 PM

I know I already said this via email but I am SO HAPPY to hear the great news Vera!!! That is so awesome and I know the chromosomes will all be perfect too!!!
Old Wed Oct 7, 2009, 06:10 AM

Hi Vera,

Good news.That kind of news raise my morale.
Old Wed Oct 7, 2009, 08:36 AM

That's brilliant news, Vera! Oh, what a relief it must be to hear the words "no MDS"! Congratulations!
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)
Old Fri Oct 9, 2009, 06:27 PM

Just in case any one forgot...... TODAY IS DAY +100 !!!!!
Old Fri Oct 9, 2009, 09:01 PM

YEAH!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you celebrate!!!

Laura
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 12:08 AM

way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vera W View Post
Just in case any one forgot...... TODAY IS DAY +100 !!!!!
Hi Vera,
This is fantastic! Way to go!!
Take care,
Beryl
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 11:23 PM

More BMB information

My Chromosomes are still normal. My husband had to ask again if my MDS was gone. These UCSF doctors are so guarded you could tell he was very pleased with my outcome. My white cells are 100% donor and my reds are 98% but that is due to the immune suppression drugs. I forgot to see if my blood type changed. Dennis asks the doctor if this is all good news and he finally smiled and said it was very good news!! So I am doing a daily drop in the prednisone down to 15% by the end of the week. After I get off the prednisone I can get off the valcyte. And go back to local care!!
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 09:59 AM

Congrats!

Vera, What wonderful news for you! You must feel it's been a long time coming, but so welcome. Best wishes for continued good health, and a speedy recovery!
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 01:16 PM

Has anyone heard from Heather (Flowerlady)?

Vera or Brigitta, have you had news of Heather recently. I am anxious to hear how she is doing.

TJ (21 year old boyfriend of my daughter) is just over day 100 after his BMT. He is doing well, but must be very cautious about infection. He is having a hard time gaining weight. He is down to 120lbs and is six feet tall. Any suggestions for gaining weight?

Melissa, hang in there, and good wishes and prayers for both you and Beryl.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 02:13 PM

You could see if he would drink those nutritional drinks. Otherwise encourage him to eat high calorie foods. Or he could try eating many small meals throughout the day, that way he is eating more.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 11:08 PM

How are you?

Quote:
My Chromosomes are still normal. My husband had to ask again if my MDS was gone. These UCSF doctors are so guarded you could tell he was very pleased with my outcome. My white cells are 100% donor and my reds are 98% but that is due to the immune suppression drugs. I forgot to see if my blood type changed. Dennis asks the doctor if this is all good news and he finally smiled and said it was very good news!! So I am doing a daily drop in the prednisone down to 15% by the end of the week. After I get off the prednisone I can get off the valcyte. And go back to local care!!
Hi Vera,
How are you doing?? I like to hear about your progress!
Take care,
beryl
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 02:02 AM

My progress

Hi Beryl, all in all I am doing well. I have a few minor issues, my rash still pops up from time to time. I am having some mild gut issues and I went back on stomach steroids but less than last time.They are already helping. Still waiting for hair, eyelashes and nails! They are slowly moving like turtles, my magnesium was real low last blood test so I went back on 1000 mg a day. This week it was back to top of the range. Some yeast issues even with all the fungus medicine I take but my tests showed that the Vfend was suppressing something. Eyes are blurry and water a lot they are not sure if it is gvh, my nose runs and lips are dry, I have dry mouth! My stamina is better but I still have to be careful. I have tingling in my feet and numbness but not all the time! I have pinched nerves in my shoulder blade but my Chiropractor is helping me. I get tired but most of the time I feel pretty good, My best friend that lives in San Fransisco Met us at our hotel and we all went out for dinner, we went early and no one was there so we got a back booth, That was my first outing since June! She was a superb assistant caregiver and I ordered her some hand crafted Roman glass earrings from Israel, she loved them.I just have a lot of minor irritating things but nothing major, I was very blessed! Now..How are you?
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 09:33 PM

Vera,
Are you taking anything for the nerve pain? I am and it helps a lot.

I had issues with really dry lips...vanicream chapstick and the Bee's Wax Medicated chapstick work great for it.

Hoping things clear up for you soon.

Laura
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 07:38 PM

Hi vera!

Quote:
Hi Beryl, all in all I am doing well. I have a few minor issues, my rash still pops up from time to time. I am having some mild gut issues and I went back on stomach steroids but less than last time.They are already helping. Still waiting for hair, eyelashes and nails! They are slowly moving like turtles, my magnesium was real low last blood test so I went back on 1000 mg a day. This week it was back to top of the range. Some yeast issues even with all the fungus medicine I take but my tests showed that the Vfend was suppressing something. Eyes are blurry and water a lot they are not sure if it is gvh, my nose runs and lips are dry, I have dry mouth! My stamina is better but I still have to be careful. I have tingling in my feet and numbness but not all the time! I have pinched nerves in my shoulder blade but my Chiropractor is helping me. I get tired but most of the time I feel pretty good, My best friend that lives in San Fransisco Met us at our hotel and we all went out for dinner, we went early and no one was there so we got a back booth, That was my first outing since June! She was a superb assistant caregiver and I ordered her some hand crafted Roman glass earrings from Israel, she loved them.I just have a lot of minor irritating things but nothing major, I was very blessed! Now..How are you?

Hi Vera,
I'm ok. It's good to hear your update. I'm still on Vidaza- I just started my 5th cycle and got another bone marrow test today too. My energy is good and it's still hard to believe I'm sick. My blasts are down from 13% to 8% and my chromosomal abnormalities have gone from 100% to 80%. I'm seeing an acupuncturist, doing EMDR, drinking fresh organic juices and taking vitamins like a fiend. I'm in training for the BMT. My Doc wants me to do it in the late winter but I'm pushing for early June. My son is getting married mid May and I want to help with the reception etc. I also don't like the idea of being at the mercy of winter weather. I feel very scared of the whole thing. I think I'll make it through but it feels very scary. Is there anything you would do differently? Are you staying near your hospital for 6 months? That's the plan for me.
Thanks for writing- i appreciate it.
Take care,
beryl
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 02:44 AM

Heather

Hi all,I just thought it important to mention my dear Heather again. She has been having such a hard time with her GVH. She recently got off the feeding bag and is having a hard time still gaining weight. She is down to 90 pounds. Please keep her in your thoughts and pray for her to be whole, She is really a warrior! Peace and love Vera
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 11:15 PM

Hi everyone,
I hope you don't mind me intruding on your group, but I just wanted to say that I love reading your posts. My son is on day +82 and as he is so young, I worry that he won't be able to communicate some discomforts to me. It helps me so much hearing your experiences so I know what to look for.

Thanks so much for sharing!
Jen

Last edited by Jen B : Sun Jan 31, 2010 at 11:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old Mon Feb 1, 2010, 02:07 AM

Hi Jen. As far as I am concerned these posts are for all of us, It might be harder on you but your son probably won't remember too much of this and will go on to have a healthy happy life.
Old Tue Feb 2, 2010, 10:24 AM

I agree with Vera. These posts are for everyone. Feel free to read or post whatever Jen We are here for everyone.
Laura
Old Thu Mar 4, 2010, 09:19 PM

Vera

Hi Everyone,

I am writing to let you all know that our dear friend Vera has been hospitalized since last Tuesday at UCSF with lung issues that they are still trying to determine. Dennis, her husband has asked us all to please keep her in our prayers! She was on a respirator at the time of his message. Dennis asked that we let everyone know and continue praying. Hope you are all doing well...I will write more about myself at another time....right now lets pray that Vera is soon home!
Old Thu Mar 4, 2010, 10:13 PM
Owner

We have all of our fingers crossed for Vera and her family. I hope she knows how good a friend she is to so many people here and how big a cheering section she has.