Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 10:50 PM

Donor found and off to transplant

Hi all, you may have seen me around on the forum from time to time. My partner Paul was diagnosed in July 2012 with Intermediate 2 Hypocellular MDS. He has been injecting himself with Neupogen and EPO since shortly after diagnosis and according to the doctors has had better than expected results, and by all accounts currently he is still travelling really well. However, we have always known that long term his best chance of longevity is a bone marrow transplant - pending a donor being available.

Well, the time has arrived whereby an excellent donor has been found (not a fellow Australian) and Paul has been given the date of 27 March 2013 to be admitted to hospital to start the preparation process - zero day unknown at this stage.

To say that we have both been on a roller coaster ride of emotions for the last couple of weeks is an understatement.

The biggest fear we have is that as he is currently asymptomatic he may be trading what appears on the surface to be good health for a very unknown territory (as I know many of you on this forum can fill us in on). But, we need to grab this situation whilst Paul is at his strongest physically and emotionally.

I am so scared for Paul at times I feel sick to the stomach. I think he is in shocked disbelief because after 8 months we were both starting to arrive at the mindset that most likely there was not a donor available.

I will keep you updated on Pauls (onward and upward!!!) progress.

Regards
Sandi
Sandi, partner of Paul 62, diagnosed MDS Intermediate 2; July 2012. Pancytopenia, Cytogenetics -7 +8 Chromosomes. Low Blast cell count. Currently on EPO & G-CSF and having great response. MUD found will be admitted to Royal Perth Hospital 27 March 2013 to start SCT process.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 02:27 AM

Great news Sandii. Seize the moment like you said while Paul is healthiest. Anyway Paul has the best asset & start in this journey... he has you!! Some one to support you through the long hours is best asset in your corner. Good luck Paul. And remember to look after you as well Sandii.
Sharnie xx
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 08:12 PM

Hi Sandi! How is Paul doing after his transplant? Hope all's well. My hardest time was a couple of weeks after because of mucositis. I got through it because I knew it was temporary, and I had good drugs!
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com