Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Fri May 23, 2008, 09:35 AM

Is bone marrow transplant the best? Always?

Hello!

My husband is called to Oncology Institute in Oporto.
Now hopefully his MDS will be clearly staged since we don't now yet what kind is his MDS.
For what I've been reading and studying I believe it's not the first stage, since he has problems in all 3 blood cells (rbc, wbc and Platelets).

And hopefully treatment will be decided.
He was diagnosed for more than 3 months with MD but we don't know the kind yet.

His neutrophils level has been stable but hemoglobin and platelets have bed steadily decreasing. Hemoglobin 3 weeks ago was 9.1 and Platelets 49.

Maybe I'm not seeing thing properly but I still have hope that he can be maneged with treatment and don't need a bone marrow transplant.
Knowing all problems and risks coming from it and considereeing he is clinically well I wonder if bone marrow transplant will be the best.

What do you think?
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 12:20 PM

Stem cell transplantation?

Hi Paula,
It´s very difficult to answer your question about SCT or drug treatment. You have to ask the doctor about the possiple outcome of a transplantation and compare with drug treatment. You know that treatment (SCT:s and drugs) are getting better every year and the overall survival for MDS has increased very much the last years. Still the only cure is SCT.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Mon May 26, 2008, 12:46 PM

Exclamation Age is a consideration

Hi Paula,
You didn't mention your husband's age. SCTs get more risky as you age. Excellent results below age 40, mixed up to mid-60's and poor after that. Mini-transplants best after age 60 as side effects are lower, but cure rate is lower than a full transplant.
Steve Kessler,Age 71, Dx 3/2001, Currently AML converted from MDS, 5q-, 11q23, Negative response to Aranesp, Revlimid. Partial response to Vidaza in the past. On a study using ON1910.NA, counts too low to go to Stanford on schedule.
Old Mon May 26, 2008, 07:01 PM

My husband age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kessler View Post
Hi Paula,
You didn't mention your husband's age. SCTs get more risky as you age. Excellent results below age 40, mixed up to mid-60's and poor after that. Mini-transplants best after age 60 as side effects are lower, but cure rate is lower than a full transplant.
Hi Steve!

My husband is 45 now.

Thank you very much for your answer. I really appreciate this.
Old Mon May 26, 2008, 07:04 PM

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgitta-A View Post
Hi Paula,
It´s very difficult to answer your question about SCT or drug treatment. You have to ask the doctor about the possiple outcome of a transplantation and compare with drug treatment. You know that treatment (SCT:s and drugs) are getting better every year and the overall survival for MDS has increased very much the last years. Still the only cure is SCT.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
I understand what you mean.

When I have more to share I'll tell you.

Let me tell you that this site has been of great help for me.

Thank you very much!