Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 03:32 PM

Caring for the IV site (Hickman catheter)

Hi...I am writing here to see if anyone has answers to my questions on care of the hickman site. I have the catheter inserted into my right chest and have had it for over one year now with no major problems. Last summer I was in treatment and inside in air conditioning most of the time, so did not sweat much. This summer it has already heated up here in Pennsylvania and I am exercising more, so I sweat much more. I have been changing the bandage covering the hickman site once a week. But now with the heat and more showering due to exercise, I start to notice moisture building up under the bandage.

Do I need to change the bandage more often? Does sweating inside the bandage cause bacteria to build up? Can anyone offer any information about this?

Thanks,
Maggie
Maggie (56 year old woman) diagnosed with severe AA in January 2006. Treated May 2006 with High Dose Cytoxin, Nov.2008 had BMT, both at John Hopkins. WBC & Platelets now normal, RBC near normal, still high ferritin level.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 03:59 PM

Hi Maggie,

I was changing John's daily because we had to switch to gauze. His skin couldn't handle the see through kind anymore and he was having problems with his. I would say "yes" to changing it more often if it's holding in moisture. Better safe than sorry. Have you spoken with your home health care nurse? Of course they would have to send you additional supplies.

Marlene
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 10:56 AM

Thanks Marlene for your advice.

Yes, I will speak with my caseworker nurse and the home care supply company. Home supply currently provides me with only one bandage change per week and may need to be nudged by the caseworker to provide more....or I may have to get my doctor to write a prescription for more frequent changes and supplies. Sometimes, I get an additional bandage change or a couple extra bandages when I am at the hospital getting a transfusion. That helps out. But I want to be prepared this summer to change the bandage as often as I need to, especially as I will be on vacation.
Maggie (56 year old woman) diagnosed with severe AA in January 2006. Treated May 2006 with High Dose Cytoxin, Nov.2008 had BMT, both at John Hopkins. WBC & Platelets now normal, RBC near normal, still high ferritin level.